How to live without refined sugar

So I assume that diabetics live like this, so I have no right to complain, but going from eating as much sugar as possible (my tiny frame lives in constant fear of collapsing in on itself), to only eating it when a certain boyfriend is out of the house, nearly drove me mental.

FYI:
‘Raw’ sugar is more refined than white sugar—it’s white sugar mixed with molasses. Brown sugar is the same, but with more molasses. In fact, white sugar is among the least refined/processed of all your sugary sources—sugar cane is separated directly into molasses and white sugar, the white sugar is often packed to be sold in the same plant receiving the sugar cane crop.

Many sources argue that there are no scientifically designed sugar replacements that are okay to put into your body—they all carry some risk of cancer, etc.

Agave nectar is a natural, sweeter, lower calorie sugar replacement, from the people bringing us tequila and illegal drugs! Yay!

Soya milk is packed with added sugar. It’s not the best for you at all, and terrible for the environment. Suck it up and support our dairy farmers.

Lemons have more sugar in them than strawberries.

Honey has 64 calories per tablespoon; granulated (white) sugar has just 46 calories. But am I allowed to bake with it? No. I must use honey.

Sugar does not cause hyperactivity—any highly sugared product contains caffeine in some form, and it’s the caffeine which has us bouncing off the walls.

The best way to cut down on your sugar intake is to consciously cut out any snack food with high amounts of sugar. As you eat less sugar in your food, you won’t need to add as much to coffee, etc.

Crunchy Lemon Muffins :
2 cups flour
4 heaped tsp baking powder
1/2 cup real maple syrup, if my pro-sugar rantings have gone unheeded (1/2 cup white sugar is fine)
Zest of one large lemon
1 cup milk
75g Olivani or other vegan marg
Juice of 1 large lemon
Another spot of maple syrup, let’s say 2tbsp

Easy to make!
Sift flour and baking powder together in a big bowl and make sure it’s well mixed. Melt Olivani in another bowl, add milk, maple syrup and lemon zest, then stir gently into flour mixture until there’s no obvious floury bits, i.e., as little mixing as possible. Spoon into a greased muffin tray, and cook at 200oC for 10–15 minutes. Drizzle lemon juice and the extra spot of maple syrup all over the muffins as they cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos