I Vaaaaant Your Blood

World Blood Donor Day 2010

The vampire-crazed fans of Twilight and True Blood who really want someone to take their blood can have their chance as part of World Blood Donor Day.

While you won’t be surrendering your veins to a sparkly dead guy, you will be helping the News Zealand Blood Service (NZBS) top up their stocks.

World Blood Donor Day ‘New Blood for Life’ is being held on Monday 14 June. The campaign is designed to attract new donors, particularly between the ages of 18 and 30.

Due to New Zealand’s aging population, the NZBS donor database declines by about 1000 people per year. The NZBS says “We need the next generation to come to the party.”

NZBS Donor Recruiter Sandra Tolve says they are always trying to “boost” new donor numbers as a result of high demand.

“Approximately 3000 whole blood donations are needed each week in order to save lives.

“This week particularly we are looking for more O+ blood donors due to a surge in usage.”

Tolve says that student participation remains variable, a fact which they are eager to change.

“In the past we have had Vic Uni Psych students running a survey on campus regarding blood donation prior to our visits, which was great, but unfortunately that hasn’t happened for a while,” says Tolve.

VUWSA Vice-President Seamus Brady says as the World Donor Day is in the middle of Vic exams, VUWSA is currently organising an on-campus blood drive for trimester two.

The self-sufficient blood service run by NZBS throughout New Zealand ensures that “Kiwi lives are saved every day with the help of voluntary blood donations made by their fellow Kiwis.”

The Wellington Donor Centre is also open Monday to Friday every week, with various times for donating either whole blood, platelets or plasma.

For more information about becoming a blood donor, call 0800 GIVE BLOOD or check out

1. Rodney Hide says:

Hey dude what’s up I heard the best place to go for blood is Mt Victoria?

2. mcswine says:

love your work rodders. ur a dog.

great article beedge

1. Turns out there wasn’t a bomb LOL
  2. IDF soldiers speak on campus
  3. Why I voted for fee rises
  4. Fuck the Establishment
  5. Facebook upset over fee rises
  6. Hack Like Nobody’s Watching
  7. The Ian Curtis Memorial Wall, Wallace Street: An Investigation
  8. Why I Hate Baby Boomers
  9. Foibles of a Foxton Forger
  10. Coppers Become Croppers

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.