IRL to help IRL

Money for you!

IRL is more than an a term to differentiate between the internets world and the real one.

The IRL IRL is Industrial Research Limited (IRL), and the company is working with Victoria University to help out New Zealand’s emerging scientists.

IRL has established PhD scholarships at Victoria to allow scientists to commercialise their research with a goal to boost New Zealand’s economic performance and prosperity.

Victoria University Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh says the initiative builds on the existing collaboration between the two organisations.

“Victoria has an excellent, collaborative relationship with IRL and these scholarships strengthen that mutually beneficial partnership.”

The IRL PhD Scholarships in Science or Business at Victoria will assist postgraduate students in the Faculties of Science, Engineering, and in the Faculty of Commerce and Administration, namely the Victoria Management School.

There will initially be four scholarships each worth $25,000 a year for up to three years. Recipients will work on a thesis of direct relevance to one or several of IRL’s research programmes.

The scholarships were established through the Victoria University Foundation.

“The IRL PhD scholarships are an excellent opportunity for science and business students to work alongside employers to develop real-life solutions,” says Walsh.

“The scholarships are focused on issues relevant to industry as well as developing students’ entrepreneurial and commercial skills.

“As such, the experiences gained from the scholarships are very valuable in today’s marketplace.”

IRL Chief Executive Shaun Coffey says collaboration between universities and crown research institutes can provide synergies for both organisations.

“IRL strives to transform scientific endeavour into commercial outcomes that support New Zealand industry. Through these scholarships Victoria University’s acknowledged expertise in both science and business will assist us in our mission.”

Last year Victoria and IRL signed a Memorandum of Understanding on the supervision of postgraduate students.

The collaboration will assist students with research in areas such as carbohydrate chemistry, high-temperature superconductors, energy and materials, engineering and applied physics, integrated bioactive technologies, measurement standards, nanotechnology and photonics.

1