May 10, 2010 | by  | in Theatre |

Jav Jarquin—The Legend Of The Card Ninja

I’m glad that Jav Jarquin didn’t take his show to Auckland because fuck those guys, they get Avenue Q. We deserve something cool too. It was cool, just so you know.  Jarquin’s audience got to spend an hour cracking up at him doing ninja stuff with cards. They weren’t so much tricks as card feats—he impaled a pumpkin, hit flying cards with other cards and flicked stuff across the room. Hey, I don’t care what you say “person who didn’t attend the show”, Jarquin was freaking sweet.

The show was a weird balance of gimmickry, personal biography and laugh lines, which meant that there were fewer laughs per minute than you’d usually expect at a comedy show. This mix of energies worked towards the show’s favour, as it was easily the most unique hour of this edition of the Comedy Festival. I think that Jarquin chose wisely to stage Card Ninja now instead of the NZ Fringe Festival, as his slick show might have been lost among the weird shenanigans that constitute Fringe.

Fringe Bar
28 April – 1 May 2010

Nic Sando is a god amongst men, fifteen fathoms high he be, with strange and wyrd powers at his disposal. Only a fool won't harken his ears to the east when he hears The Sando man stumping his way. http://thesando.com

1. Olivia says:

Jarquin exudes charisma and a captivating presence that fills the stage to hold the audience spellbound with his biographical stories about his family. What seems like everyday matter becomes funny given his comedic spin. Add those card feats and ability to memorize the order of 52 cards reveals more talent and brain behind his charm.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos