Ladies please

Every year, the VUWSA Women’s Group hold Women’s Fest, a week packed full of women-centric events to promote awareness on campus. This year it is from 10th – 14th May and it is shaping up to be a goodun:

Monday: “Should women be back in the kitchen?”—The debate
12–2:30pm, Meeting Room 2, Student Union Building

The last few years have seen a rise in women wishing to professionalise, putting families on hold to forge careers in male-dominated areas. While this is still the case, there has been also a rise in 1950s kitsch homeware, making it desirable for women to have both—career and family. (Okay, this isn’t the only reason, but who doesn’t love 1950s kitsch homeware?) What are women to do? I’ll tell you—turn up to the debate and see what the result is. Then base your life choices around it.

Tuesday: DIY Sanitary Pads
12–2:30pm, Meeting Room 2

So menstrual pads are insanely expensive and really bad for the environment. But if you make your own cloth pads, it starts to balance these things out. Even if you never use it you can tell your friends about the crazy awesome stitch and bitch you had with the VUWSA Women’s Group.

Wednesday: Abortion Panel
3–5pm, Meeting Room 1

First we’ll be screening The Coathanger Project about abortion in America after Roe vs. Wade. Following that we have a panel discussion facilitated by Margaret Sparrow (OMG SWOON).

Pub Quiz
5:30pm onwards, Mount Street Bar

Lots of prizes, drinks specials and festivities. After the abortion panel, you’ll need something to unwind and really, what were you going to do? Go to student night? Psssht.

Thursday: BodySense Workshop
12–2:30pm, Meeting Room 2

‘Give up dieting—how real food (and eating it) can help you get ahead’, facilitated by Tania Coombes. Yeah, we know International No Diet Day was last week, but life is hard enough without having to worry about body image issues. The VUW Counselling service runs a more comprehensive workshop if you like how this one makes you think.

Friday: Ladies Lunch
12–2:30pm, Meeting Room 1

Exactly what it sounds like. Geez.

Venus Vespers
7pm onwards, Adam Concert Hall, NZSM
$10 entry, $5 concession

Showcasing women composers including Carol Shortis, Hildegard von Bingen and Yoko Ono. (I don’t know if this is the real one or not, but either way…)

Now that you’ve read this, I expect to see you all there. Refreshments are provided and seriously, your Women’s Group are awesome so come and meet us.

1