May 31, 2010 | by  | in Features |

Latitude Global Volunteering

Last year I volunteered for four months in Chile after finishing university. I spent four months teaching Chilean kids on the edge of the Atacama Desert. I experienced a bit of everything, from living in a Chilean version of a ghetto, being followed everywhere by dogs, singing Jonny Cash on national television, and being honoured by several schools and people I helped out. I wanted to volunteer to learn a new language, experience a new culture, gain new skills for my CV, and to make a difference to people less fortunate than myself. The experience was absolutely worth it. Everyone was so grateful that I came all the way from New Zealand. I was showered with home-made cards and gifts when I left. My Spanish greatly improved. I made close friends who I still keep regular contact with. I went to incredible places, discovered local delicacies and learnt that volunteering was hard but rewarding. My CV looks all the better for it, I have many new skills as well as work and life experience. I would thoroughly recommend volunteering overseas! Do It!

1. Waipora says:

Last year I volunteered with Lattitude. I was placed at Dover College (a co-educational day and boarding school for pupils aged 3-18 years) in Dover, Kent, England. My jobs varied, starting my mornings working in the school office to playing sports games with the pupils in the afternoon and occasionally helping out in the boarding house. Being based in the UK was great because I was so close to Europe. I travelled all over and experienced different cultures. I had an awesome time and would recommend Lattitude to anybody who is interested in volunteering overseas!

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos