President’s column

Accountability and transparency to students is important at VUWSA. We are a student run organisation and you control what we do. VUWSA requires a higher degree of accountability for the use of student money than the University does and this is a good thing. VUWSA also spends a lot of its time making sure the University is accountable to you for the use of your money, but that is a much harder task.

Salient does a lot of the work for you, and makes sure that you find out about it when VUWSA has made bad decisions (definitely not something you can say about your University) and that we release the information that we should be releasing.

This week we are taking a number of steps to improve the information that you get about your students’ association.

VUWSA Budget

We will be re-releasing the 2010 VUWSA budget, which has been revised since changes in student numbers and staffing levels. It will be available at www.vuwsa.org.nz and I encourage all students to look at the budget, ask questions, bring ideas and make comments to the Executive.

In 2010 we will also be seeking your feedback on the 2011 budget and will use your feedback on the 2010 budget when drafting it.

VUWSA Operational Plan

We will be releasing the 2010 Operational Plan, which sets out the VUWSA Executive goals and tasks for the year. Again, all students are encouraged to make suggestions or comments based on the plan. Again, in 2010 we will be asking for your feedback in drafting the 2011 plan so ideas are very useful.

Minutes and Work Reports

We will be putting Executive work reports and the minutes of Executive meetings on our website. Executive meetings are open to all students, but most students have better things to do it seems, so these are available if you want to know what we are up to.

VUWSA IGM : Take Two

The IGM, and the presentation of the Annual Report and the audited financial statements are another important accountability measure.

We are re-holding the VUWSA IGM. Twice as much fun. The IGM will now be 1pm on 13th May in the Union Hall. This is a chance for you to see what the Executive is up to, ask questions and make directives. There will also be a free BBQ, cheap drinks and prizes to be won. More information in my Presidents’ Column next week and on the posters around campus.

1. Intimacy and the Environment
  2. Surprise Surprise, Another US School Massacre
  3. Dear Daddy Dave
  4. The Weekly Planet
  5. Throwback T-Swizzle: Speak Now
  6. Books to Films
  7. Books to Films
  8. Still Life with Chickens
  9. Silicon Valley Season 5
  10. The Adam Portraiture Award is Anachronistic and Goofy and I Love It