Prof picks up prize

Victoria Law Professor David McLauchlan has a new award to sit next to his 2006 VUW Academic Idol, while Law student Ruiping Ye also takes home a prize.

The Unpublished Student Paper Award went to Ruiping Ye for her paper The demise of ultra vires in New Zealand: to be? not to be! This award is open to papers between a minimum of 10,000 and a maximum of 18,000 words and must have been written for course credit at a New Zealand university.

McLauchlan won the Sir Ian Barker Published Article Award for the best article at the recent Legal Research Foundation Awards.

McLauchlan is in his 40th year of teaching law at Victoria and is also an Honorary Professor at the University of Queensland.

During a distinguished career he has won numerous awards for his legal research, including the Legal Research Foundation Book Award (1981) for The Contractual Remedies Act 1979 (co-authored with Francis Dawson) and the Hon Rex Mason Prize for Legal Writing (1987).

In a recent Supreme Court case, it was said of him: “I pause to pay, or repay, a tribute to the learned Professor. His work to bring some logic and cohesion into the task of contractual interpretation has been as outstanding as it has been tireless.”

Dean of Law Professor Tony Smith says: “This is a gratifying demonstration of the depth of legal talent in this faculty, from the student to the professorial level. We are delighted with this recognition for both of them and for the faculty.”

1