Quorum MIA at VUWSA IGM

Many acronyms, no meeting

The Initial General Meeting (IGM) held by VUWSA on Wednesday 28 April did not go ahead due to not meeting quorum.

According to the August 2009 Constitution, the quorum necessary for all General Meetings needs to be at least 100 people. With 27 people in the Union Hall by the start time of 1pm, this did not seem likely. The Constitution states that “if such quorum be not present within 30 minutes of the time appointed for the meeting, no business may be discussed or dealt with, and the meeting shall lapse or be void for all purposes.” Indeed it did lapse, despite VUWSA administration efforts to round up people, the 92 that were present by 1.30pm was still insufficient.

Despite the no-go nature of the meeting, students that were present seemed undeterred.

Student Felicity Bunny says she will go to the next IGM.

“This was the first time I’ve come to a General Meeting, so I don’t know what they are usually like.

“I will come to the next one as I’m interested in what the university is up to and what VUWSA’s goals are.”

VUWSA President Max Hardy says he was disappointed the meeting did not reach quorum.

“It was great however to have 90-plus students there wanting to be involved in the IGM.

“IGMs are an important accountability measure and are a chance for students to ask questions of make directions to the executive.”

The reason for lacking student numbers seems to be down to minimal advertising of the IGM.

Many students were unaware of when the general meeting would be held or even what it was.

“Is that the big fuck-off building in town?” was a third-year student’s response when asked if she had heard of the IGM.

In accordance with the Constitution, notice of the follow-up Initial General Meeting needs to be “posted on the noticeboard at least fourteen (14) days before such meeting, stating time, date and place thereof”.

1