May 10, 2010 | by  | in Features |

Time to start fighting: why the pro-choice movement needs young people

“Young women need to know that abortion rights and abortion access are not presents bestowed or retracted by powerful men (or women)… but freedoms won, as freedom always is, by people struggling on their own behalf.”—Katha Pollitt (US feminist writer) 

The 26 April issue of Newsweek magazine caused a furore in United States feminist circles for its depiction of the reproductive rights movement as a “post-menopausal militia” in desperate need of new blood. Young pro-choice activists rushed to the blogs to defend their generation. “There are thousands of us working hard for the movement every day… We are more passionate than you can imagine,” wrote one. Or another, more bluntly: “I don’t know how many times I have to yell to be heard by older feminists. Turn up your hearing aids! Are you listening? We’re here.” 

Whether these young feminists like it or not, the pro-choice movement is propelled by older generations, and the lack of younger activists is starting to show. Support for the legal right to abortion in at least some cases has stayed at around 75 to 85 per cent since 1975, but in recent years the pro-choice movement has been drowned out by its strident, fundamentalist anti-abortion counterparts. The annual March for Life in Washington DC drew 200,000 participants this year. In contrast, a pro-choice demonstration in the same city in December 2009 drew a crowd of only around 500 supporters. 

In New Zealand, the pro-choice movement is strong and motivated—but ageing. Although most New Zealanders, and in particular young people, hold liberal views regarding abortion, there’s a big difference between supporting a woman’s right to choose and fighting for that right. And while anti-abortion groups are mobilising young people, through churches and university clubs, it seems the level of pro-choice activism is waning. So where are all the young pro-choice women and men? 

For a lot of people, abortion rights don’t seem like something we need to fight for. Many of us assume that, should we ever need an abortion, we will be able to have one safely and legally. To some extent this is true—abortion is de facto legal in New Zealand. But this isn’t anywhere near good enough. 

In New Zealand, abortion is a criminal offence. An abortion can only be lawful if, during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, two certifying consultants agree that one of four conditions has been met. Incest leading to pregnancy, potential physical and mental harm to the woman, foetal defects, and mental disability are grounds for abortion. Rape, age and socioeconomic circumstances are not, although the former two can be taken into account. After 20 weeks, an abortion can only be performed to prevent permanent physical or mental injury to, or the death of, a woman. 

So thanks to an outdated, unfair and demeaning law, abortion remains illegal for most women who find themselves pregnant. And it would be unobtainable, if it weren’t for the Abortion Supervisory Committee and doctors who take a liberal interpretation of New Zealand abortion law. In practice, abortions are very rarely denied, and the vast majority are performed on the grounds that there is a serious risk to the woman’s mental health. 

Why should we be angry? There are plenty of reasons. Abortion is a medical procedure, yet in this country it is treated as a crime. The law reflects neither current practice nor current public opinion. Most New Zealand women are mentally healthy, and they’re perfectly capable of making a rational decision about whether or not to continue a pregnancy. The requirement that two consultants must approve a woman’s abortion by certifying that she is mentally unfit is unnecessary, time-consuming, and ultimately degrading for the woman involved. And many women, because they live in rural and provincial areas, effectively don’t have access to abortion.

The most common argument from pro-choice women and men for not actively defending reproductive rights is that, if we press the issue, we might lose what gains we’ve already won. Yes, abortion is not technically legal in most cases; but if it’s accessible and safe, at least for the majority of New Zealand women, what’s wrong with the status quo? 

This is a terrible argument. In reality, our reproductive rights are not secure—they are just a court case from being taken away. The latest in a long line of attempts to challenge the legality of abortion is ongoing court action instigated by Right to Life New Zealand. In 2005, the anti-abortion group applied for a judicial review of the Abortion Supervisory Committee, arguing that it was allowing abortion on demand in breach of its statutory duties. Justice Miller, in his ruling on the case, expressed “powerful misgivings” over the lawfulness of many abortions carried out in New Zealand. Both the Abortion Supervisory Committee and Right to Life have appealed the ruling to the Court of Appeal, to be heard later this year.

This legal drama shows that the threat to reproductive freedom is real. But the courts aren’t the place to settle this kind of discussion. We need serious informed public debate on this issue. And we need more young women and men to stand up in support of the right to choose. 

The pro-choice movement is not about promoting abortion, killing babies, or any other accusation that the other side throws down. It’s about providing pregnant women and their families with safe choices, supporting them, and letting them make informed decisions about their future. If it sounds like something you’d be interested in supporting, take action. You can find more about the Abortion Law Reform Association on their website, www.alranz.org. You can also show your support by joining the ALRANZ group on Facebook. Women deserve the right to choose. It’s time to start fighting for it.

1. smackdown says:

ahaha ken orr destroyed

2. Hannah says:

Wow thanks Ken! As a woman who thought she knew her own mind, I’m so glad you’ve been able to explain to me that I instinctively ‘defend and protect my children in the womb.’ And gosh, who knew I never readily agreed to an abortion! HINT: you know nothing. The way you generalise women as a group and presume to know our thoughts and feelings only reveals your misogyny, which goes nicely with your paternalistic attitude. Abortion allows women to have choices about their own future – it’s a pity you equate the bearing children to freedom for women.

3. Ken Orr says:

Abortion is the killing of unborn children who are the weakest and most defenceless nembers of the human family.It is also violence against women who are the second victim of abortion. It is instinctive for women to defend and protect their children in the womb, no women readily agrees to the killing of her child.Studies done in the United States reveal thar 60 % of women who seek an abortion do so because they have been coerced into an abortion by the father of the child, family and friends.Abortion is therefore the choice of men who do not wish to accept responsibility for caring for the mother and providing for the up bringing of the child that they have fathered. Women will never be free until men treat women with respect.When will women recognise that men use abortion as a means of escaping their responsibilities.The pro-life movement should be seen as pro – women and pro-life.

4. Chris O'Brien says:

Dear Salient,

No wonder the so called “Pro-Choice” supporters are worried. Firstly they are aging and therefore disappearing. Secondly NZ’s young people’s attitudes are changing towards abortion. They recognise that they are the lucky ones, the ones who have got to be born, when over 25 percent of their brothers and sisters have been destroyed before they saw the light of day. And hey lets not hear that tired old cliche about a lump of cells trotted out about the foetus not being human. Like as if it is a fish or something. Smackdown Candy Raptor take note. Try taking you back to the womb of a Pro-Choice women saying, will I or wont I? Like that? Thought not.

It was great to see over 300 people march in Christchurch at the start of April; http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1004/S00096.htm many of them young people. No mention of that in any of the newspapers. Wonder why? No not really. A hundred march in Christchurch concerned about the sacking of Environmental Regional Councillors and it’s front page news in the Press.

Good also to see Pro-life groups forming on NZ University campuses around the country. Abortion, you’ve been given notice, and it’s by the young.

5. Chris O'Brien says:

Dear Salient,

It was great to see over 300 people march in Christchurch at the start of April; many of them young people. No mention of that in any of the newspapers. Wonder why? No not really. A hundred march in Christchurch concerned about the sacking of Environmental Regional Councillors and it’s front page news in the Press.

6. Candy Badger says:

You’d rather I eat babies when they’re alive?? You’re a cruel man, Ken Orr

7. Raptor says:

Type here…

8. Kerry says:

Ken Orr has two handicaps;
    1) failing to understand that however vehemently he believes it, his support for the mandatory completion of every pregnancy to childbirth ignores the one vital fact that every woman understands automatically – men never have to go through labour, childbirth, breastfeeding, sleep deprivation, or pot-natal depression/psychosis. It’s all fine for you men to say that you ‘support women who want to keep their babies’, but most of you don’t even get out of bed to pick up your own children when they cry in the night, let alone the child of an unmarried mother who has been manipulated by the anti-abortion rhetoric into keeping an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy.

2) supplying statistics about research conducted amongst young women in the USA really doesn’t fly in the ROTW.
    We all know the USA is fulla shit, and most of us can use the internet (and some of us even speak 2 or 3 non-english languages, how about that?) and can read about other countries where liberal health laws allow terminations based on need, not dubious statements about maternal mental health.

Finally, good on you Kerryn Baker for such a good article.

9. Raptor says:

Dear Ken. Could you please link to these studies you speak of so that we can evaluate their methodologies and who they’re done by for ourselves. Are the published in peer reviewed journals?

I also find this funny

“Abortion is therefore the choice of men”
    Are you a man, Ken? Unless there is something you’re not telling us I’m going to assume that you are. You, a man, want to remove women’s choice to have an abortion. You are removing their choice. To paraphrase you, women will never be free until you can treat them with respect.

The pro-life is not pro-women. Your stance is inherently anti-woman because it will remove their choice.

You are the ambulance with a siren stuck on at the bottom of a cliff. You should really be focussing on the things that lead to abortions happening. Maybe you should get off your soap box and start arguing for better sex education in schools. Better access to prophylactics. A more equal society where violence against women doesn’t happen in the first place. Once you’ve solved those problems then come back to this one.

You are a pathetic man and I am ashamed that we both have X and Y chromosomes.

10. karl bronstein says:

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
    and they’re always glad you came.
    You wanna be where you can see,
    our troubles are all the same
    You wanna be where everybody knows
    Your name.

11. Karl Bronstein says:

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
    and they’re always glad you came.
    You wanna be where you can see,
    our troubles are all the same
    You wanna be where everybody knows
    Your name

12. Raptor says:

Kerry, you’re just as bad but on the opposite end of the spectrum. Shut the hell up the both of yis.

13. Dennis O'Saur says:

What is up with abortion?
    It’s a bortion!
    Are you only allowed to have one?!
    How can you have two abortions?
    It’s an A bortion.
    A means there’s only one of them!

Ever heard someone say they’ve several bortions?
    Didn’t think so!!!!!!

LOL

14. Nicola Wood says:

Great article Kerryn.

What I can never understand is the complete contradiction in many pro-lifers’ beliefs. The very same people often (making a generalisation here, sorry, but it’s often true) advocate capital punishment, and generally favour sending people off to fight in wars. I remember I saw a quote once… “Conservatives are anti-abortion because they need live babies so that they can raise them to become dead soldiers”.

A woman should never, ever be denied the right to take control of her own body.

15. Andy says:

Hannah said,
    “Abortion allows women to have choices about their own future”
    which is true. However it doesn’t deal with the issue of the future of the foetus. What about the foetus’s choice?

16. Alpha says:

…Half of whom are or are becoming female. Which shouldn’t actually be a consideration for sensible people, but some ‘feminists’ only care if you point how it will benefit women. Which is kind of sexist. Just sayin’.

17. LadyRiddle says:

Thank you so much for this article and for the entire issue, I think that more women should know about the legal problems surrounding abortion.

18. Caitlin says:

LOL @Andy: “What about the foetus’s choice?”

I was unaware that they had higher brain function, if any. The trimester where the foetus becomes a baby is when abortions are not legally allowed to be performed.

Grow a womb and deal with these issues first hand. Then tell us your argument is still valid.

19. kelly says:

Ken Orr is the spokesperson for Right to Life New zealand.
    He spends his days flicking through unversity magazines, writing blog comments and generally being a dick.

Wow it really seems like you are doing alot to help children in New Zealand. Wait no, I don’t believe you do help campaign for children…..no you just care about a foteus. Not real human lives. I am sensing some serious womb envy from you

20. Jordan says:

To Ken. What era do you live in? Religious fundamentalism has ceased to exist or at least it should have. Don’t you know we now live in a modern age where choice is valued, and rightfully so. I suppose you agree with slavery as well? I am a man, but i have moved on from the men should have more power then woman attitude (not that i ever agreed with it) but i have realized that we each go through different things and we each have freedom to make different choices. I just don’t understand how you can fight for something so stupid. You must know that your views are idiotic, and in some strange way you probably think you are helping people, but your not, people like you should keep your views to yourself, and stop trying to make life harder for the rest of us.

21. Chris says:

The camera does not lie folks. If a young women who is thinking about an abortion see an ultrasound of their unborn child, then around 80% will choose to continue their pregnancy and give life to their baby. Pro abortion arguments are demolished when when women considering an abortion see an ultrasound of their baby. Pro-abortion arguments crumble when they see the wee beating heart and perfect features.

In the US it is great that up to a dozen states are considering offering any women seeking an abortion to view an ultrasound of their unborn child before aborting it. Of course pro-abortion activists are battling the proposals with all the venom they can muster. Suddenly, they’re no longer for choice—not when the choice is for women to see their unborn babies.

22. Alpha says:

What about a male’s right to an ‘abortion’? In terms of ‘aborting’ all future responsibility to the child if a women wishes to have it and the male does not. Seriously. A women makes a decision, that will affect the male just as much as the female. Sure, he may not have to carry it to term, but in many places, males can be imprisoned if they don’t pay child support – even if they did not want the baby, but their female partner did.

If a man does want to have a child, a woman can negate it – she has all the power. How is this fair? Sure, someone could come out and say that it is likely to be a female who’s career is affected the most, and on the whole this is true. But all these arguments are so damn one-sided. What happened to balance?

23. Shitkicker McGee says:

It’d be dangerous to give women rights. Especially over their own bodies. Lucky they have men like you and Ken to decide things for them.

24. Nikki says:

Chris, legally requiring a woman to view an ultrasound of their foetus is not choice. If a woman decides she wants to see an ultrasound and then makes the choice to not have an abortion, that is fine and dandy with pro-choice people. If she decides not to view an ultrasound and chooses an abortion than that is also fine and dandy with pro-choice people. We don’t presume people are idiots.

25. Chris says:

Nikki,
    Legally allowing a women to kill her unborn child is not choice either, especially for the unborn child, but you’re missing the point I was making. Up until now, a women considering an abortion did not get the option to view an ultrasound. In other words she was denied the necessary information needed to make an “informed choice” as some might put it.

26. Chris says:

Type here…

27. s says:

satire

28. kelly says:

dear Chris

I had an ultrasound. And in fact many women who go through with an abortion early do. your statistic is absurd. All I could see was a dark spot. It had to be zoomed in many a time. you seem to have some fairy tale idea that you can see a giant baby. But then you have never been pregnant so I can understand your total ignorance. Seeing it confirmed to me that is was a cluster of tissue. and made me realise just how much the notion it was murder has been pushed down our throats.

Which was proved by your comment. People who talk so much about the ‘life killed’ are not really concerned about saving lives at all. They never fight for money for the starving children around the world or for more government support for the mothers that do choose to have children.

If you want to bring down our abortion rates. Why don’t you campaign for sexual education in all schools and free contaceptives.

But the new zealand right to life don’t do this. They want to punish women in as many different ways as possible. Because they know a women who wants an abortion will always obtain one. Do you really want to bring back the knitting needle, not being able to obtain a safe and legal abortion in Brazil has meant that illegal abortions are the biggest killer for women in Brazil.

Making it illegal won’t stop it, but it will kill hundreds of women in New Zealand. and these women have real lives. Are these the consequences you want to see. Is a poor woman of three bleeding to death on the floor. The solution you want. That is the reality.

Jesus cared about people. So don’t make god your excuse for such a horrible attack on women.

29. Nikki says:

My apologies Chris. I did miss your point. But that raises another. If the women choosing to abort were not offered an ultrasound, then how exactly did the women who were in your first point get access to an ultrasound to make up the 80% that apparently chose not to terminate? I guess that’s where I got confused.

And in New Zealand you do have the option, so it’s all a little irrelevant isn’t it?

30. Steevie says:

Do the pro-lifers really think it’s an easy and whimsical option? If the mental health of a woman is adversely affected by having an abortion then do they honestly think that showing an ultrasound of a foetus helps? Surprised none of the pro-lifers are spouting their wild fantasies about adoption being an option.

It’s not just young people who have to make this decision. Thank goodness we have a choice in New Zealand.

31. Clement McBigglewaddle says:

I never cease to choke on the irony of Ken Orr and Bob McKroskie being pro-life (because of children’s rights) but pro smacking.

Wait, so, a foetus with little-to-no cognitive function cannot be aborted, BUT an 8 year old with the ability to cry and run and feel fear can be assaulted in the name of good parenting.

Abortion sucks, no one likes it. No one is pro-abortion, but very few people would want to live in a world where there is no option.

The creepy thing is, is that Right to Lifers want no option, so that everyone is too scared to have sex, so abstinence is the best way, and people wait to get married before they have sex, and then they have 50,000 children regardless of the health or will of the Mother, because (gosh darn it) that’s her job. And then we’re all in the 1800’s again and I’m wearing a top hat and I look fucking stupid in top hats and although corset’s are hot I don’t think they’re practical daywear, y’know?

32. Clement McBigglewaddle says:

Extraneous apostrophe fail. My humblest apologies good people.

33. Shitkicker says:

I like abortions.

34. I'm not a dumbshit says:

So just a couple of things,

I’ve been one half of the genetic material in an abortion and a baby(two separate incidents) with the same partner. Frankly, it is the womans decision to abort or not. They may take on advice from other people, but they are the final arbiter. It also intrigues me that the pro-lifers argue for the unborn child. As parents you are responsible for making the correct decisions for your child until the law of the land decides they can be responsible for themselves. The most responsible thing you can do is understand when you are in no position to bring a child into the world and make the decision accordingly. Bringing a child into the world and then bringing them up on the welfare because you can’t afford to rear them and get an education to ensure a lifestyle for your new family is fundamentally irresponsible and downright stupid. The sheer volume of people doing this anyway only brings evidence to bear on the matter.

Also, and I refer to Kerry here, if you’re partner is any kind of decent human being then you are only right on a couple of counts. Men can’t experience labour and childbirth. And we are fundamentally unequipped to breastfeed. But we are there for the labour, we are there to bottle feed if the mother has expressed for the purpose. We definitely go through the sleep deprivation. And research and studies show that, in fact, men can experience post-natal depression. As many as one in three men experience it, but brush it off because “that’s what we’re supposed to do and men don’t get post-natal depression anyway”. So, you know, if you are planning to have a kid, try not to have it to the douchebag who has already got three kids that he is avoiding paying childsupport for. Cause odds are if your banging that guy, he’s probably a mate of Ken Orr, Chris O’Brien and Andy. I hear they also have spousal abuse parties, so yay for them right?

35. Chris says:

To I’m not a dumb shit?
    The inability of most people to comprehend that the disconnect between the sexual act and it’s consequences is fundamentally an artificial construct is at the root of a lot of the pit that today’s society finds itself mired in regarding abortion.

Abortion is not a human right. Abortion is killing, the deliberate decision to take a life, because that life is inconvenient. When society condones the taking of lives simply to avoid responsibility or for reasons of convenience, then societies human face has just disappeared and the specter of the culture of death has arrived.

36. I'm not a dumbshit says:

Chris, I do hope you are aware that the entirety of human history is one long, blood soaked list of people killing other people. We are, today, the end product of an entire culture of death. Abortion is not a new phenomenon. Records of abortion have been around for as long as we though it worth recording the event. The only difference is that today it is a safe, and in most cases societally recognised and legitimate procedure.

So I’m guessing that what you would prefer is that women, who are taking their position and future into their own hands and holding themselves responsible for their actions, should take hemlock in a guesstimated dose instead of being attended to by trained medical professionals. Or perhaps you would rather they use an even more dangerous method? Throwing themselves down a flight of stairs immediately leaps to mind. Or a coathanger. Or getting someone to beat their stomach? Which of these methods(all of which have been recorded as being used in the past) would you recommend instead of going to a hospital?

There is no birth control method that is 100% effective. Unless you take into consideration abstinence. But abstinence is an even more unnatural behaviour than abortion. But I’m guessing you would probably disagree with that.

37. Chris says:

I’m not a dumb shit,

My point exactly. Your last comment sums things up nicely. Killing is preferable to abstaining. And Pro-Lifers have lost the plot??

38. I'm also not a dumbshit says:

Oh, so it’s better to punish both parents and an innocent child for the rest of their lives because of a lapse of judgement?

39. Chris says:

You are right about the lapse of judgment. It seems that lack of judgment seems to be endemic these days..A far as punishment is concerned, can we conclude that “life” will be a punishment for the (and you are right it is a), child?

Reggie Dabbs, whose mother considered abortion is now a motivational speaker who helps millions of teenagers worldwide, is currently in New Zealand.

http://familylifenz.wordpress.com/2010/06/03/us-man-saved-from-abortion-by-the-love-a-caring-couple-showed-to-his-young-mother-is-in-nz-to-share-his-story/

Many feel they can make judgments concerning the life of a child and to speak of the atrocious prospects that child will face and for it be reasonable to make those judgments on behalf of that child. This is nonsense.

As for your argument that the parents, (and you are right, they are parents – even if they abort their unborn child), will be “punished” for the rest of their lives, is not morally defensible. If so then why not use the same argument to defend parents murdering their toddler, because it is going to mean that they will “suffer punishment” for the rest of their lives. as Horton said ” A person’s a person, no mater how small”.

40. logical says:

” A person’s a person, no mater how small”? … perhaps but a feotus is not a person in the same way that a shopping trolly without wheels is pretty much just a basket
    The feotus is essentially an obligate parisite for AT LEAST the first 23 weeks of gestation as it is , in most circumstances, physically incapable, even with medical intervention, of surviving independently of the mother.
    Personally i do not believe that a feotus, without even the basic anatomy nessecary for survival, has more rights to a womans body than the woman herself or, if we are being honest here, any rights at all.
    The potential of a feotus to achieve personhood is not reason enough to deny a woman the right to decide what happens to and with her own body.

41. Matt says:

As Dr Seuss said, “don’t use my books to advocate your pro-life bollocks, or I’ll sue you.” Ok so he didn’t actually say that, but he did threaten to sue a pro-life group who used Horton in their advertising. Just sayin.

42. smackdown says:

horton hears a heartbeat

43. Wee Hamish says:

Och Me ma’m alweighs says she wushed ah had been aborted.

44. smackdown says:

ur rude

45. Melissa :) says:

……
    Yes, you do realize that you are taking a life away? Like come on! If you don’t want a baby, then USE PROTECTION. I have a friend who’s mother was thinking of aborting her, but her granddad convince her not too. She is so GRATEFUL for the life she has! The smartest person I ever known, now in york university. In toronto studying to be a practical nurse. Please don’t be selfish, and guess what? LIFE IS HARD, GROW UP! Who the hell said it was easy? Ughh..

Proud mom of 1

46. smackdown says:

americans googling “abortion,” clicking page 43, finding salient article, rolling up sleeves, having a laff

47. Chris says:

I’ll say one thing Smackdown, you seem to spend a lot of time trawling through old posts concerning abortion, and adding your tuppance worth. Wonder what that’s all about?

48. Lydia :'( says:

Hannah said
    “The way you generalise women as a group and presume to know our thoughts and feelings only reveals your misogyny, which goes nicely with your paternalistic attitude.’

What do you mean by “our”?? There are more than a million women out here who agree with Ken Orr. Honestly I see no misogyny in what he said. I actually see quite the opposite..Hannah are you in some kinda feminist island or something honey?

Kerryn Baker said
    “The pro-choice movement is not about promoting abortion, killing babies, or any other accusation that the other side throws down. It’s about providing pregnant women and their families with safe choices, supporting them, and letting them make informed decisions about their future.”

At a first glance the quote above looks fairly pleasant to read but the definition for the word “promoting” is “contribute to the progress or growth of…” You are just contradicting yourself. I know abortion isn’t a happy experience for anyone but the safe choices and informed decisions you give women promotes abortion.

Hannah and Kerryn Baker also said

what about the LIVING little PERSON inside them ?? “However it doesn’t deal with the issue of the future of the foetus. What about the foetus’s choice?”

I cant understand why you people don’t get it!!!! *bursts into tears*

Life is all about you and never for the tiny LIVING PERSON !!!!

49. Stella says:

Could it be that young people are more likely to have parents who chose life (birth) and not death(abortion)? That their parents actually view them as gifts and not “problems”? That they are not yet old enough and cynical enough to deny the fact that human life begins at conception?

I wonder how many of ALRANZ members chose abortion over birth, and continue to support ALRANZ in order to justify their decision?

1