Uterus Cakes: Recipes to stabilise your hormones with Zoe Reid

Twisted ginger cake:

Twisted, because it has the traditional ginger cake ingredients, but is completely different in taste from my experience. Ginger is great for soothing your tummy and all the nuts and seeds give you protein and calcium—smothered with chocolate icing it makes you feel amazing.

2 big dollops margarine
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sultanas
2 cups plain flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp nutmeg
1tsp cloves
1/2 cup soya milk
1 large banana (either food processed or mashed)
A sprinkling of sesame seeds

• Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
  • Cream butter, sugar and golden syrup. It’s important to get this light and fluffy—I use a food processor on colder days so the golden syrup gets moving.
  • Add banana and fold in.
  • Sift flour, baking powder and spices and fold in. Don’t add more liquid, it should look like it desperately needs it!
  • Add walnuts and sultanas and stir in. They are likely to stick to the wetter parts of the mix, which means that in the finished cake they come out a bit like pecans in pecan pie (wrapped in caramel). If you don’t want this, then don’t add them till after the soya milk.
  • Dissolve baking soda in soya milk. Make sure it’s fully dissolved, not just sitting on the bottom, and fold into the mixture until you’re sure there are no flourey pockets.
  • Pour into a large, square, greased tin, it should sit at about 2–3cm high, and put in the oven.
  • It only takes about 15–30 minutes, check with a knife.
  • Take out and leave to cool, cut the cake in half, ice one side with chocolate icing and put the other half on top, ice the new top of the cake, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Tea Cake:

Literally. Raspberry leaf stimulates the uterus and it’s believed that, taken regularly, it solves almost all girly problems!

2 big dollops margarine
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup
2 cups plain flour
1tsp baking soda
2tsp baking powder
2 cups of raspberry leaf herbal tea
Big handful of mint
1/4 to 1/2 cup cocoa

• Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
  • Cream butter, sugar, golden syrup and the mint, chopping the mint quite fine. I use a food processor. Try to get it light and fluffy.
  • Add about ¾ cup of herbal tea, it will look like vomit but mix it all up till its well mixed.
  • Sift flour, baking powder, and cocoa and fold in. Don’t add more liquid, it should look like it desperately needs it!
  • Dissolve baking soda in ½ cup of tea. Make sure it’s fully dissolved, not just sitting on the bottom, and fold into the mixture until you’re sure there are no flourey pockets. (White pockets of wet mix are desireable. Not dry pockets of flour.)
  • Pour into some form of greased cake tin, it should sit at about 2–3cm high, and put in the oven.
  • It only takes about 15–30 minutes, check with a knife and leave it about 10 minutes longer than the knife suggests.
  • Take out and leave to cool, cut the cake in half, ice one side with chocolate icing and put the other half on top, ice the new top of the cake, and sprinkle with something pretty looking.

1