Vic being helfpul

Quite a nice idea actually

Victoria University is offering a lifeline to research projects devastated by the Chilean earthquake.

To ensure scientific research can continue following the earthquake in Chile, Victoria is offering six four-month fellowships to Chilean scientists.

“Scientists have lost samples they had been collecting for many years, and we understand that in some cases whole collections that are important to the ecosystem in Chile have been lost,” says Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Professor Neil Quigley.

“Some facilities need to be entirely rebuilt, particularly those on the coast that were affected by the tsunami.”

Victoria has established research and exchange partnerships with Chilean universities.

Quigley says the fellowship recipients will be teamed up with Victoria scientists who are conducting similar work to enable them to continue their research.

“We have had strong links with Chilean universities for some time now, and this is our way of acknowledging that relationship and ensuring that important research in Chile continues.

“Being part of an international research community, it’s important to ensure that long-term gains aren’t jeopardised by unforeseen events such as this.”

The visiting fellowships are open to academic staff members of Chilean universities or research institutions whose laboratory facilities are unusable following the earthquake, and will provide funding to cover a round trip airfare and accommodation in Wellington for four months.

Universities most affected are in the central and southern part of the country, including the University of Concepcion, La Frontera University in Temuco, universities in the cities of Talca, Curico and a number of coastal marine field stations.

1