Vic to Vet New Kids?

Enrolment entanglements ensue

Tighter government funding and increased enrolment numbers appear to be proving difficult for Victoria University to manage.

Victoria has changed admission requirements and is no longer guaranteeing places for qualified new applicants in trimester two and three this year.

Recent changes to the Admissions and Enrolments pages on the Victoria website (www.victoria.ac.nz) state “domestic applications submitted for trimester 2 2010 are not guaranteed a place in an undergraduate programme or course of study”.

This note is repeated on the trimester three information page.

Victoria University Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) Penny Boumelha says the university will let prospective students know if there are any places available, but repeated that no applicants are guaranteed a place.

“We are currently monitoring our enrolment applications for trimester two carefully and looking at all our options.

“As it states on our website we can not guarantee new domestic undergraduate students entry into programmes or courses of study at Victoria University in 2010.”

Boumelha did not comment on why enrolments will be restricted in 2010.

When asked by Salient if this was a move to early adoption of managed enrolments proposed for next year, Boumelha was not able to provide an answer.

“Any decisions regarding managed enrolments for trimester two would need to be made by the University’s Council.”

Salient has been advised that a Special Council meeting has been called for Wednesday this week.

VUWSA President Max Hardy says funding issues have resulted in changes to Victoria admisssions.

“VUWSA understands that the university may well be in a very difficult position given the government’s policy of reduced funding and capped enrolments.”

Hardy says the recession has led to more New Zealanders taking up the option of tertiary education, putting pressure on the university.

“VUWSA will be making sure students are treated fairly and advocating for the protection of our quality of education, as well as accessibility to tertiary education.”

The 2011 admission changes were also recently updated. Prospective students will need to:

• achieve University Entrance;
  • achieve the Guaranteed Entry Score;
  • fulfil any other degree specific requirements, e.g. performance audition;
  • apply by 10 December 2010 for study in 2011.

The Guaranteed Entry Score is a rank score based on a student’s school results and qualification type.

Those students who do not achieve the Guaranteed Entry Score will be placed on a Waitlist. This allows the university to manage enrolments.

Salient will bring you more information on this next week.

News Editor and Chief Editor-Annoyance. Thinks you should volunteer to write news. Is easily distracted by shiny things.

1