VUWSA IGM finally held

Enough people cared this time!

Following their noses to the promise of free food, or the chance to win a snowboard, over 100 students gathered for the VUWSA IGM last week.

Unlike the first failed attempt to hold the IGM, last week’s meeting easily reached the constitutionally required quorum of 100 students.

While the constitution requires the IGM to be held in the first four weeks of the trimester, the meeting was delayed by the accounts not being completed in time by the auditors.

VUWSA President Max Hardy presented a motion that a police presence be allowed on campus, while maintaining that VUWSA “vigorously opposes” any active patrolling or surveillance by police.

The motion was passed with very little debate.

The rest of the meeting was dominated by motions presented by Enviromental Officer Zachary Dorner.

Following debate about the necessity of creating a sustainable campus, the meeting passed the motion that VUWSA promote sustainability and ensure the organisation operates sustainably.

Dorner also asked the IGM to support a motion that VUWSA not support mining on conservation lands or any form of whaling.

In a not so shocking occurance, ACT on Campus President Peter McCaffrey took the opportunity to speak against every point, even when he admitted he wasn’t exactly sure of his position on some of them.

Following lengthy debate, both motions were passed into policy.

Vic student Andrew Holmes-Galloway took the opportunity to say he failed to see the relevance of debating national issues at a student meeting.

Holmes-Galloway did not present the issues he deemed relevant when Hardy opened the meeting to questions and comments from the floor.

Students grumbling prior to the meeting that nothing is “actually achieved at these stupid meetings” also missed their opportunity to present their specific concerns when Hardy opened the floor.

News Editor and Chief Editor-Annoyance. Thinks you should volunteer to write news. Is easily distracted by shiny things.

1