June 12, 2010 | by  | in Online Only |

Qantas Media Award, huh?

In somewhat of a coup for student media, Salient picked up a Qantas Media Award at a glitzy ceremony at Sky City in Auckland last night.

Salient Editor and three-time award-winning student journalist Sarah Robson took out the award for Junior Magazine Feature Writer of the Year.

Robson, who attended the ceremony, is both pleased and baffled by her win.

“Well, I was the only finalist in my category, so it would have been, like, really embarrassing if I lost to no one.

“But seriously, can someone tell me how I won? Shouldn’t some big-budget glossy magazine be winning this sort of thing?”

It has been ascertained that there were several other entrants in the category.

Despite the fame and glory associated with winning an award sponsored by an airline company, Robson is disappointed she did not get to go on stage to accept her prize.

Any prospective employers who may wish to contact Robson to remedy her post-Salient unemployment are encouraged to do so.

Robson submitted a portfolio of features from 2009 for consideration for the award, including the now infamous 3000-word Campus Hub expose.

2009 Salient Editor Jackson James Wood is said to be taking credit for at least 5 per cent of Robson’s win, despite firing her on an almost daily basis.

Upon hearing the news of her win, Wood called Robson at the ceremony and yelled excitedly down the phone.

“Aaaaahhhh! Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!” he exclaimed.

Highlights of the night included The Listener columnist Jane Clifton complimenting Robson on her dress, and schmoozing with former Salienteers Nicola Kean and Matt Nippert.

In other news, the Herald on Sunday won Newspaper of the Year.

1. Neilson says:

Congratulations Sarah.

Great work, good luck with picking which job offer to accept ;)

Regards
    Alexander

2. Laura McQuillan says:

Hold on.. who’s Sarah Robson? I thought it was Rarah Sobson!

3. Fellow drinker on the night says:

Congrats again.

Re getting job: you could just go do work experience at a mag you like and just stay there until they give you a job. That’s how Greer got into the ComPost.

4. OY VEY says:

Did you know schmoozing is *actually* word? As in, not just made up. It’s Yiddish. Exciting, eh?

…I want to learn Yiddish.

5. Fame and glory of winning a prize sponsored by an airline, Robson is disappointed not got to go on stage to accept His prize.Any by recruiters, who can contact Robson to correct unemployment His post-marked are invited to do so.

6. shitkicker says:

that’s some sweet spam