Council Pulls the Plug on City-wide Booze Ban

News

Newtown and Mt Cook forced to sober up

Wellington Mayor Kerry Prendergast may not have been able to implement her city-wide booze ban, but she has been successful in extending the liquor-free zone.

Currently there is a liquor ban in Wellington’s CBD area, Aro Valley and the Mt Victoria lookout.

A council committee recently voted to extend this area to include Mt Cook and Newtown, but not to cover the entire city.

The council had formerly proposed a city-wide ban that could have seen members of the public arrested for enjoying wine with a picnic.

The council received 604 written submissions in regards to the proposal, with 76 per cent in opposition to the city-wide ban.

Prendergast was a strong supporter of the city-wide ban.

“This is a gut call, and we have to show a bit of courage and do what’s right for the community.”

Victoria University student and Newtown resident Claudia Ducrot, who will be affected by the changes, had mixed feelings.

“It is a good idea in terms of curbing this drinking culture that has manifested in New Zealand over the recent years, but I’m a student and I want to enjoy it while I can.”

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn