Eye on Exec

Eye on exec

I was late. I copped a grumpy glare from Sarah and sat down just in time to learn that Fraser Pearce had caught up with the rest of the self-employed world by correctly formatting his work report. He expertly diffused the tension this could have caused by asking why the VUWSA kitchen wasn’t kept tidy. No one cared.

Steven Joyce’s visit dominated the majority of the meeting. However, it seemed most of what he said was a reiteration of government policy. Joyce apparently made a stronger statement about non-academic service fee increases being used to circumvent fees ceilings. He also made noises about linking university funding to job outcomes—because, of course, that’s what tertiary education’s about anyway.

Max Hardy moved quickly on to his report, announcing that provisional replacements for the roles of Education Advisor and Rep Groups Coordinator have been found (subject to reference checks). He mentioned that the Education Advisor will play a bigger (surprisingly enough) advisory role in the future, with more engagement of student representatives. Both roles are anticipated to be finalised and fulfilled in the next few weeks.

From September 1st to October 14th, some VUWSA staff and exec members will be without an office due to construction activity. Salient suspects they will try to find temporary offices in the new Alan McDiarmid building. A draft of the relationship between VUWSA and the Victoria Broadcasting Trust (VBT), the organisation that funds the VBC 88.3FM, was presented. In its current draft, the agreement is morally binding—the VBT is interested in making it legally binding. Expect further updates in the coming weeks.

In national news, the NZUSA conference was a great “networking” opportunity for Max. Caitlin’s workshop went really well too. Max stank out the VUWSA delegation’s hotel room by disinfecting his gross toe in a glass of Dettol. He has antibiotics now so that’s ok. He’s also getting his insulation checked, and Seamus Brady pointed out that they need a bathmat.

Really, this was one of the less arduous meetings I’ve sat through. Bonus points to everyone for not letting work report debriefings drag on three times longer than they need to. No updates on either the poker tournament or faith week. I’m assuming that both are still happening, or that they’ve spontaneously combusted in a puff of bureaucracy. Either way, the lack of their mention kept the running time just under an hour. Congratulations, guys.

Lewis has been playing videogames since his family's PC Direct "workstation" in early 1996. He spends his spare time reading political blogs, working and welcoming complaints and suggestions.

1. Issue 14, Vol 81: Queerlient
  2. Vegan Choc Chip Cookies
  3. Words Cut Loose
  4. Corduroy – “The Usual” Single Review
  5. Nanette
  6. Alex Strangelove
  7. The Normal Heart
  8. Analysing the Queer Content in Children’s Puberty Books
  9. Podcasts Are For the Gays
  10. From the Archives