In the Week that Wasn’t: Facebook Fanatic takes Farmville too Far

The Week That Wasn't

‘Security dislikes this’

A student’s obsession with the Facebook game FarmVille resulted in vandalism of the Victoria University Quad during the mid-year break.

Kelburn Campus has been left with an exposed square of dirt in its paved quad after a first-year student, known only as Melissa, attempted to recreate her farm on university property.

Security was called to the scene earlier this month after university staff noticed the exposed dirt in the area where a student had previously been seen loitering for long periods of time. Melissa was caught later that day when she returned to her ‘farm’ with seedlings and fertilizer she intended to plant in the square.

Upon being approached by security, Melissa seemed shocked and confused, a spokesperson said.

“According to our officers, the student appeared to have no idea she had committed an offense.”

In a later statement to Salient, Melissa explained that she hadn’t expected her farm to attract any controversy.

“I was expecting to find a mystery egg or a groovy cow when I came back.

“When I first saw the man, I didn’t know I was in trouble. I just thought he was helping to fertilise my crops.”

It remains unclear how Melissa managed to remove the concrete from the quad in the first place.

Security is yet to decide what disciplinary action to take. Salient understands that the area will soon be re-paved, as Security fear that the patch may attract other fanatics.

In an unrelated incident, Auckland University has recently increased security at its marine biology lab after students were found attempting to adopt sea slugs for their Happy Aquarium.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America