In the Week that Wasn’t: VUWSA holds by-election, doesn’t fuck it up

The Week That Wasn't

VUWASS broke from tradition last week when they successfully carried out a by-election with no constitutional mishaps whatsoever.

In the past VUWASS’s attempts to fill vacancies mid-year have been marred with constitutional illegalities associated with no confidence and the setting of dates. In 2009 parts of the by-election were ruled invalid by an independent arbitration panel.

However, following the release of results last week, Salient can confirm that all procedures followed were in accordance with the VUWASS constitution.
When spoken to by Salient, President Max Harding seemed pleased with the result.

“We really do try our best to keep everything above board and legal. Obviously we would prefer that the constitutional rules were always adhered to, but that’s a lot easier said than done.”

Salient understands that a number of clauses in the constitution have caused problems for VUWASS in the past. Terms such as ‘week’, ‘voting’ and even ‘VUWASS Executive’ have been a cause for confusion. A proposal to revise these more perplexing terms is currently being investigated.

VUWASS will celebrate the lawful results of their by-election at Mount Street Bar next week.

1. Issue 14, Vol 81: Queerlient
  2. Vegan Choc Chip Cookies
  3. Words Cut Loose
  4. Corduroy – “The Usual” Single Review
  5. Nanette
  6. Alex Strangelove
  7. The Normal Heart
  8. Analysing the Queer Content in Children’s Puberty Books
  9. Podcasts Are For the Gays
  10. From the Archives