Law made for a television audience

TVNZ 7 is about to launch a brand spanking new show—that you have a chance to be involved in.

The Court Report, which starts filming this week, is a new current affairs series that will see key players in New Zealand’s legal system discussing the latest justice issues and court cases, complete with audience input.

The show will be filmed at Vic’s Law School, and will be hosted by high profile defence lawyer Greg King.

Some of King’s more (in)famous clients have included convicted murderers Clayton Weatherston and John Barlow. He has taken cases to the Privy Council, and since the establishment of our own Supreme Court, he has presented the only two successful murder appeals.

So what attracted King to the legal profession in the first place?

“My father was a prison officer, right through my youth, in fact he’s only just finished this year. And I think from that bred a real interest in the dynamics of criminal law,” he says.

King studied at Otago and was admitted to the bar in 1993 and worked for Judith Ablett-Kerr. King regards his time with Ablett-Kerr as his “apprenticeship in criminal law”, and he says his three years working with her was a “baptism of fire”. He’s been in Wellington 14 years now, practising on his own account. Without doubt, King’s a legal high-flyer.

There are a couple of reasons why King is excited about hosting The Court Report. “It… really appeals to my kind of core values, and the reason why I’m in this industry in the first place. I think it’s a really timely opportunity to actually get into informed, detailed and accurate debate about legal issues,” he says.

“I guess my motivation was hearing the mind-numbingly stupid comments that people make who just don’t have any idea about how the justice system works, on talkback radio and so on. I just sit there in my car listening to it and just wanting to pull my hair out at some of… really, the ignorance.”

What King really wants to achieve out of The Court Report is “high-level informed debate that properly represents the competing issues”.

Why should you tune om at home, or head down to Law School and be part of the live audience? “We’re dealing with how the law impacts on people, so anybody living in our community has the law impact on them in some way,” King says.

“So hopefully greater insight and greater understanding of how it all works will be a benefit to everyone.”

The Court Report will be screening on Thursdays at 9.35pm and Tuesdays at 2.35pm on TVNZ 7 from the 15th July.

You can head down to Law School and see it live in the studio audience on Tuesdays in LT2.

Editor for 2010, politics nerd, panda fan and three-time award-winning student journalist.

1