New postgrad diploma for Victoria

News

Victoria University is launching a new postgraduate diploma designed to increase clinical research skills in New Zealand.

The new Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Research is part of a wider partnership between Victoria University and Capital & Coast District Health Board (C&C DHB) involving research, teaching and technology transfer.

Victoria University Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh says the new Postgraduate Diploma will “enhance the future performance of the health sector in the areas of clinical research and health education”.

It is the only qualification of its kind in New Zealand.

The Victoria diploma is a distance course that will provide clinical researchers with the skills for undertaking drug development and clinical trials, among other areas.

It will be taught mostly online by Victoria University staff, clinicians from C&C DHB and the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand (MRINZ), with Victoria staff also providing academic leadership.

“The diploma delivers the high-level clinical research skills essential to the health and pharmaceutical sectors in New Zealand and the world.”

The course begins in July and draws on the research strengths of the university—which also offers courses in the health-related sciences of biomedicine, nursing and psychology—and the expertise of C&C DHB and MRINZ clinicians.

“There is a need within the health sector for a clinical research qualification, and this diploma takes the best of both the academic and clinical health worlds to strengthen clinical research,” says Walsh.

Victoria University and C&C DHB recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding which encompasses a wide range of projects designed to benefit both the Wellington region and New Zealand’s health profession.

“The new diploma is just one initiative which will strengthen the ties between the health sector and the research and teaching environments,” Walsh says.

Associate Health Minister Peter Dunne commended both Victoria University and Capital & Coast District Health Board for their collaboration.

“With constant media coverage of health research and the development of new treatments, medicines and technologies, New Zealanders expect a high-performing health system. Their collaborative work on this project takes us a substantial step forward in that direction,” Dunne says.

1