No Confidence silent on by-election chances

News

Nominations have closed for the upcoming VUWSA by-election, and No Confidence is once again set to make a showing in the polls.

Three of the five positions to be decided in the election are to be contested by only one candidate.

Bridie Hood is the only nominee for the Vice-President (Education) position. Hood has filled the role in an acting capacity this year.

Only one nomination has been received in each of the International Officer and Publications Committee Representative positions, with the candidates being Paul Zhong and Timothy Parker respectively.

Three nominations have been received for Vice-President (Administration), including current Activities Officer Alan Young, as well as VUWSA newbies Thomas Horrobin and Richard Carr.

Tom Reed, Cruz Johnson and Kerry Brown have put themselves forward for Queer Officer.

In positions where there is only one candidate standing, there is the option of voting No Confidence.

No Confidence has made a strong showing in recent VUWSA elections. Although often close, No Confidence is yet to win a position on the VUWSA exec.

The inclusion of No Confidence in the 2009 by-election in some positions where multiple candidates stood was a cause for controversy, and resulted in the by-election being declared invalid.

There will be a candidate’s forum at the Mount Street Bar this Wednesday at 12.30pm. Salient hopes there might be free food there.

No Confidence was not available for comment before Salient went to print.

Polling begins this Thursday, and runs until 5 August. You can vote online or at polling stations across the Vic campuses.

You’ll be able to check out candidate profiles online from midday tomorrow. We’ll also be printing them in Salient next week, along with interviews with some of the candidates.

What? Who’s standing again?

Vice President (Education)

Bridie Hood

Vice President (Administration)

Thomas Horrobin
Richard Carr
Alan Young

Queer Officer

Tom Reed
Cruz Johnson
Kerry Brown

International Officer

Paul Zhong

Publications Committee Representative

Timothy Parker

Editor for 2010, politics nerd, panda fan and three-time award-winning student journalist.

1. Graeme says:

No confidence won the WVP election in 2002 (defeating Jasmine).

2. Hank Scorpio says:

Alan Young calculating exec members’ executive bonuses is a prospect so incredibly sweet, it just has to be fattening.

3. Hank Scorpio says:

And with work reports that include such tasks as “helping Sheamus take microwave to Kirk building,” I hope Alan scores a resounding victory, and assumes his throne as the rightful king of student politics.

4. Mike says:

There’s isn’t a ‘no confidence’ option available for “Position 5 of 5: Publications Committee Representative” – looks like another null and void VUWSA by-election in the making.

5. The Constitution says:

The Constitution does not require or allow for a “no confidence” option in the event that there is only one nomination for Publications Committee. Schedule 2 (24) (B) requires a “no confidence” option in the event that there is only one candidate for the VUWSA Executive positions. Schedule 2 (24) (C ) deals with the voting options for the Publications Committee positions and does not require or allow for “no confidence”.

6. Magonagal says:

It’s very clear that the overwhelming majority of students couldn’t care less about VUWSA. I’ll be amazed if even 10% vote in these by-elections. VUWSA exec’s of recent years are the main reason the VSM bill is so likely to succeed. Student associations need to make themselves relevant if they want to survive.

7. charlie bucket says:

vuwsa does pretty well this year compared to other years but i can’t be bothered voting