Student Job Search retires to the regions… or does it?

News

Finding consistent information about the continuation of Student Job Search (SJS) on campus seems to be as difficult as finding a decent part-time job in Wellington.

As reported in Salient’s Eye on Exec column two weeks ago, VUWSA President Max Hardy said at the 9 June exec meeting that SJS is planning to relocate its call centre to the Wairarapa. Hardy also said Victoria students could be left without an SJS office on campus.

At the exec meeting, Hardy said VUWSA would consider providing some space for SJS to continue operating a couple of computers and a staff member.

However, when Salient contacted SJS Marketing and Communications Manager Lorna McConnon, she contradicted Hardy’s statement at the June exec meeting.

“There has been no mention nor is there any truth to SJS offices moving to Wairarapa,” McConnon said on behalf of SJS CEO Paul Kennedy.

The SJS office, located at the bottom of Mount Street, provides a drop-in service for students to set up accounts and receive job information. It also houses the National Call Centre for the organisation.

McConnon says that if SJS does move from campus it will only be the call centre which does so—the face-to-face service will remain.

She admits that due to a decrease in government funding, SJS is looking at new ways to remain efficient.

“Operating from regional areas can be cheaper.”

McConnon is also unable to fully explain where the rumour of a Wairarapa office came from.

“Nothing has been decided… especially not on locations.”

McConnon says that any decision to move SJS from campus “will be discussed with the students’ association.”

SJS has recently discontinued some face-to-face services. Their office based at Massey University’s Albany campus has been closed in favour of a virtual office. This change was only made after research was conducted showing that very few students actually used the drop-in service.

A survey conducted by Salient showed that some Victoria students feel the same about the drop-in service.

“Doing everything online is so much easier,” says Laura, 19. “I don’t think I’ve ever been into the office.”

Hardy was unavailable for comment before Salient went to print.

8. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  9. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy
  10. Astral Rejection