Students to hike thanks to transport price hike

News

Coffee or bus to uni—you decide!

Transport fares for the Wellington region are set to rise in October, despite public opposition.

The increase will force students to decide between the hike up the killer hill, or something to warm their insides.

The Greater Wellington regional council met in June to debate the increase, with councillors ruling in favour of a 2.5 per cent rise across the board. Inner-city bus services and the Wairarapa train line face a further increase.

Wellington inner-city bus fares will double, increasing to $2. The fare from the Railway Station to Vic will be $2.

Most fares will go up by 50 cents if paid in cash. Go Wellington has also decided to phase out many of their passes, such as the Bus King, Gold Pass and Day Tripper. NZ Bus Chief operating officer Jane Fulljames accepts that “a small number of customers may have an increase in the cost of their travel”.

The fare increase comes after a decision made by the council to increase bus fare revenue by 3 per cent. The government has also announced a GST increase, however, Wellington Regional Council transport spokesperson Philippa Lagan says that the October fare increases are inclusive of the GST rise. Lagan says that transport fares are reviewed annually, and if there is to be a further fare increase after the GST rise, it is “not at this stage”.

Members of the public opposed to the decision had the opportunity to address the council at the meeting. Some, such as a group of Wairarapa commuters, signed a petition against the increase.

Green Party transport spokesperson Gareth Hughes said that the fare increases were a “slap in the face” for commuters.

The fare increase will take effect from October 1.

1. Superior Mind says:

Hold on, how is a “2.5% rise across the board” only going to effect “a small number of customers”?

$2 to take a bus across town seems a bit steep when it only takes 15 minutes to walk.

2. smackdown says:

why walk when you can run

run to uni

run for your life