VUWSA Considers Uploading to the Interweb

News

Proposal to move SGMs online

Provisional results from Otago University Students’ Association (OUSA) indicate that Student General Meetings (SGM) will soon be moved online, and VUWSA is considering following suit.

VUWSA President Max Hardy told Salient last week that VUWSA is currently investigating the possibility of shifting their SGMs online.

“OUSA has come up with an interesting idea and has made a good case for it, so we will be considering a similar proposal.” According to Hardy, moving SGMs online could improve the meeting process.

“We get a lot of criticism about the general meeting process and so we are very interested in looking at ways to improve it and make it more representative.”

Holding SGMs online could also increase the number of students who take part, which would increase the likelihood that quorum is met.

In 2009 motions of no confidence against President Jasmine Freemantle and exec member Robert Latimer were unable to be tabled when the required quorum of 100 students could not be met. Trouble with meeting quorum was also one of OUSA’s principle arguments in favour of online SGMs.

VUWSA is still in the preliminary stages of investigating the idea. Students will have the final say in any changes to the SGM process.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June