Admin Vice-President Richard Car-r

Hello VUW Students and Staff, I’m Richard Carr, the recently elected Administration Vice-President. I realise that usually these columns say what the Exec member has been doing and what will happen in the near future, however I have been in office for 3 days so not much to report on. Instead i thought that I would let people know who I am and what I aim to do. Currently I’m a second year studying a BCA in Economics and a BSc in Operations Research.

When I was elected I was asked by Max Hardy what I would like to do in my position. I gave him some answers but I have been thinking on this over the last few days and I have come to a conclusion of 7 main goals which I will strive to achieve:

Internal EfficiencyKeeping accurate income statements and carefully monitoring the budget to ensure that money is being spent the way that we have promised the students.

Financial Advice
Becoming fully integrated with the accounts of your Students Association to be able to quickly assess and supply useful advice any on approaching decisions.

Reassess Current Spending
I will be reviewing expenditure so that I can ensure that the students are not paying for things that do not provide substantial benefits.

Cost Effective Services
Looking at the services that are being funded for by students and ensuring that they are providing maximum benefit for minimum cost.

Communication
By having an active website, obvious office hours, response to emails and being present at Student meetings so that I can clearly communicate what is happening within the organisation to the students.

Accountability and Management
Combining all the above ideas to create a VUWSA which you can be proud to say that you are a member of, having transparent practises and continue the strong management guiding VUWSA.

Non member revenue
Finding money to provide Students with benefits without having them cost anything.

With these clear goals I hope that I can achieve all that I have set out to do.

If you have any problems, any ideas of what you think should be done, or even just want to chat, feel free to get in touch with me, I look forward to meeting you.

My Office Hours are:
11-2 Tuesday
11-2 Wednesday
12-2 Thursday
11-2 Friday

My Email is:
avp@vuwsa.org.nz

R.C.