Admin Vice-President Richard Car-r

Hello VUW Students and Staff, I’m Richard Carr, the recently elected Administration Vice-President. I realise that usually these columns say what the Exec member has been doing and what will happen in the near future, however I have been in office for 3 days so not much to report on. Instead i thought that I would let people know who I am and what I aim to do. Currently I’m a second year studying a BCA in Economics and a BSc in Operations Research.

When I was elected I was asked by Max Hardy what I would like to do in my position. I gave him some answers but I have been thinking on this over the last few days and I have come to a conclusion of 7 main goals which I will strive to achieve:

Internal EfficiencyKeeping accurate income statements and carefully monitoring the budget to ensure that money is being spent the way that we have promised the students.

Financial Advice
Becoming fully integrated with the accounts of your Students Association to be able to quickly assess and supply useful advice any on approaching decisions.

Reassess Current Spending
I will be reviewing expenditure so that I can ensure that the students are not paying for things that do not provide substantial benefits.

Cost Effective Services
Looking at the services that are being funded for by students and ensuring that they are providing maximum benefit for minimum cost.

Communication
By having an active website, obvious office hours, response to emails and being present at Student meetings so that I can clearly communicate what is happening within the organisation to the students.

Accountability and Management
Combining all the above ideas to create a VUWSA which you can be proud to say that you are a member of, having transparent practises and continue the strong management guiding VUWSA.

Non member revenue
Finding money to provide Students with benefits without having them cost anything.

With these clear goals I hope that I can achieve all that I have set out to do.

If you have any problems, any ideas of what you think should be done, or even just want to chat, feel free to get in touch with me, I look forward to meeting you.

My Office Hours are:
11-2 Tuesday
11-2 Wednesday
12-2 Thursday
11-2 Friday

My Email is:
avp@vuwsa.org.nz

R.C.

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos