Animal of the Week: The Star-Nosed Mole

Up until now, Salient’s illustrious Animals of the Week have been—to some extent—endearing: the sloth, the slow loris, the kakapo… heck, even the pistol shrimp has a certain charm. But the same cannot be said for the star-nosed mole, which has a face only a mother could love. The best thing about this grotesque creature is that it spends most of its life underground, where no one (except Candy Badger) ever need see it. What is the purpose of those worm-like growths on its face? Well, the 22 mobile, pink, fleshy tentacles on the end of its snout are apparently used to identify food by touch, as the mole is blind—to all intents and purposes, it looks like it’s saving its dinner on its face for later. All I know is, I don’t want to look at it anymore. Next!

Elle started out at Salient reviewing music. In 2010, she wrote features and Animal of The Week, which an informal poll revealed to be 40% of Victoria students' favourite part of the magazine. Alongside Uther Dean, she was co-editor for 2011. In 2012, she is chief features writer.

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos