By-election turnout still a mystery

Salient is still awaiting official turnout figures from the recent VUWSA by-election, a week and a half after the votes were counted and the results confirmed.

Salient was provided with the total number of votes cast in the by-election, but not the number of individual students who voted.

The turnout figures were requested from Returning Officer Sara Fraser the evening the results were released
Fraser responded to this email after last week’s issue went to print, saying she would be in the office “sporadically” and that she “may be able to provide them [the figures] then”.

A second email was sent to Fraser last Tuesday to remind her Salient had requested the turnout figures. There has been no response to this email.

Salient could be waiting a while, with Fraser only working a limited number of hours in the Returning Officer position. And we’ve got no idea when she’ll be back in the office. Sigh.

Editor for 2010, politics nerd, panda fan and three-time award-winning student journalist.

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy