Former Salient Editor to Chair UN Enquiry

Former Salient Editor and New Zealand Prime Minister Sir Geoffrey Palmer has been appointed to chair a United Nations (UN) enquiry into the Israeli attack on an aid flotilla earlier this year.

Palmer’s role was announced last week on the strength of recommendations from UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

The UN Human Rights Council will be investigating the Israeli attack on a Gaza-bound flotilla aid that led to the death of nine unarmed civilians and the capture and deportation of one female New Zealand aid worker. The investigation’s aim will be to prevent future conflicts rather than determining who is to blame for the incident.

Palmer was New Zealand’s 33rd Prime Minister and held office for one year between 1989 and 1990.

Palmer studied political science and law at Victoria University in the early 1960s and was Salient’s editor in 1963 with Ian Grant and Robin Bromby.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this