School’s Out for the Summer

University Considers Changes to Trimester Three

Victoria students may soon face a raft of changes to the university’s trimester three summer school programme.

VUWSA President Max Hardy told Salient last week that a proposal has been presented to the Academic Board to reduce trimester three to a six-week summer school for undergraduate courses. If changed, the trimester would run from January to March and bring Victoria into line with other universities, including University of Auckland and Otago University, which both have six week summer schools.

Hardy says that VUWSA will oppose the changes, which are currently with the faculties for comment.

“Students currently use the third trimester as a chance to fast-track or finish their degrees, and the option should remain available. The university should not make it harder for students to finish their degree by reducing the options available to students.”

Hardy says that this may also create difficulties for students applying for StudyLink funding.

“Students may also not be able to get student loans and allowances for the third trimester if they, for example, only have to study one course to finish their degree. At the moment they can do a final course in the same calendar year as their main courses.”

The proposal includes exemptions for some courses that will still run from October to December. It will return to the Academic Board at their next meeting at the end of this month.

Changes have already been made to some summer school courses. Last Wednesday the School of Accounting and Commercial Law announced changes to their trimester three programme via MyVictoria.

“Regrettably, there will be no undergraduate courses offered by the School of Accounting and Commercial Law in the summer trimester 2011/2012,” wrote Head of School Ian Eggleton.

Third trimester paper COML 203 ‘Legal Environment of Business’ had not been removed from the Course Catalogue when Salient went to print.

Students who feel strongly about these issues are advised to contact VUWSA.

Salient will follow up the proposal and course changes in the next issue.

1. AUSA President Anand Rama Resigns
  2. My Attention is Broke
  3. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  4. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube