Vic Lecturer wins Excellence Award

But isn’t an Academic Idol finalist

Victoria University’s Sara Kindon walked away $20,000 and one prestigious award better off following last Wednesday’s Ako Aotearoa Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards 2010.

Senior Lecturer in the School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences, Kindon was one of eleven winners at the event, awarded one of nine Sustained Excellence awards.

Held at parliament and hosted by Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce, the event celebrates tertiary educators for their commitment to teaching and students.

New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA) Co-President Pene Delaney, a member of the awards panel, outlined the importance of the awards to tertiary education in New Zealand.

“Great teaching is vital to the student experience and the quality of education a student receives. It is wonderful to see teaching excellence continue to be recognised at a national level.”

This award marks Kindon’s award for second teaching excellence. In 2008 she was presented with Victoria University’s Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching.

Kindon has published 12 articles and books, supervised numerous postgraduate students and is well known for her innovative teaching practices.

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos