Vic Lecturer wins Excellence Award

But isn’t an Academic Idol finalist

Victoria University’s Sara Kindon walked away $20,000 and one prestigious award better off following last Wednesday’s Ako Aotearoa Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards 2010.

Senior Lecturer in the School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences, Kindon was one of eleven winners at the event, awarded one of nine Sustained Excellence awards.

Held at parliament and hosted by Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce, the event celebrates tertiary educators for their commitment to teaching and students.

New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA) Co-President Pene Delaney, a member of the awards panel, outlined the importance of the awards to tertiary education in New Zealand.

“Great teaching is vital to the student experience and the quality of education a student receives. It is wonderful to see teaching excellence continue to be recognised at a national level.”

This award marks Kindon’s award for second teaching excellence. In 2008 she was presented with Victoria University’s Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching.

Kindon has published 12 articles and books, supervised numerous postgraduate students and is well known for her innovative teaching practices.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough