Victoria University might play fair

Pat Walsh buys bananas

Victoria University might be one step closer to becoming a Fair Trade University with VUWSA President Max Hardy presenting Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh with a fair trade information pack last week.

VUWSA has supported the Victoria International Development Society (VicIDS) fair trade proposal since September last year, when students voted for VUWSA’s advocacy on the issue at a Student Representative Council (SRC). The SRC was attended by over 150 students, and a number of clubs on campus collected signatures for a petition.

Hardy met with Walsh last Monday to outline the vote and provide him with the proposal.

VUWSA has invited Walsh to enjoy fairtrade coffee, chocolate and banana cake at the Student Union Building if he wants to discuss the issue further.

If the proposal is approved, Victoria will be New Zealand’s first Fair Trade Campus.

Walsh is currently considering the proposal, but Hardy could confirm Walsh was open to the idea of fair trade in general.

“Professor Walsh informed me that he did in fact buy some fair trade bananas at the supermarket in the weekend.”