Victoria University to use WordArt for 2011 Course Catalogue

Victoria University’s Publications Design Department confirmed last week that the soon-to-be published 2011 Course Catalogue will feature Microsoft WordArt headings.

The department announced earlier this year that they would be investigating new directions for the design of the annual publication.

Several proposals, including those from design students and graduates, were considered. Microsoft WordArt was introduced as an alternative in May.

Publications Design Director Karen Schnell says the choice of WordArt over other offers was partly the result of funding cuts to publications across the board.

“Of course we would prefer to invest in the original creations of one of our students or graduates, but at this point in time that is not a viable option.

“The university needed a new image, and we’ve already paid for the technology through our subscription to Microsoft on the university’s computers, so we thought why not?”

Currently the department have only confirmed the changes to the Course Catalogue, but Salient understands that staff are looking to implement WordArt headings across all university publications.

The department originally opted to change the old design following feedback from students given in a survey about the university’s promotional material. Many students felt that the university needed to update their marketing and make it more relevant to a younger audience.

Schnell says that the department has investigated ways of appealing to the new generation of Victoria students.

“We found that new technology and online social networking sites were particularly important to these students. When appealing to them, it was obvious that we needed to use the same technology to keep it modern, relevant and interesting.”

As well as cost effectiveness, WordArt was chosen for its modern approach to design. The department’s designers were particularly impressed by the 3D range of titles, colour blending and shadow effects offered in the WordArt selection.

The department has opted to retain the signature green and white colour scheme and Victoria logo, but will adapt these features to WordArt templates.

The Course Catalogue will be released later this year.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan