Winnie for Vic, Loss for Labour

Labour MP Hon Luamanuvao Winnie Laban advised her caucus last Tuesday that she is stepping down from parliament and taking a new career at Victoria University in the newly created position of Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Pasifika).

Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh is delighted with the appointment, which he announced in a press release on Tuesday.

“Ms Laban’s expertise and experience in Pacific Island affairs made her the ideal candidate for the role and we look forward to the contribution she will make in this newly created position.”

Laban is looking forward to the new role and tackling the issues that Pasifika students face in tertiary education.

“This enables me to continue my passion for Pacific people, young people and more importantly, having a role in education outcomes that will lead to stronger economic development for the Pacific community.”

Research shows that Pasifika students are increasing in number at tertiary level, however, completion rates are low. Pat Walsh says the newly created role is in response to the growing number of issues facing Pasifika in education.

“A number of plans and programmes are already in place at Victoria to improve participation, retention and the academic success of Pacific students. The new role of Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Pasifika) will provide leadership and vision for many of these projects.”

Laban has held her electoral seat with a strong majority over the years and Labour leader Phil Goff says that he is sad to see her go. Laban’s resignation from parliament means there will be a by-election held for the Mana electorate.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June