Facebook Event Flooded With Donations

Students do their bit for Pakistan

The forces behind “Kate’s Party” are now backing a good cause, encouraging students to donate money to the flood victims of Pakistan.

University of Canterbury student Josh Smith has created a Facebook event as a way to encourage students to donate a small amount of their student loan or allowance money to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) as part of the appeal for Pakistan.

The page appeals to university students from around the country to give some of the cash they get “from Mr Key and his mates” to help the people of Pakistan.

The power of social networking appears to be effective. Currently 5522 people have been invited to join the group, with 397 saying they will donate.

A running tally on donations on the wall of the group shows that approximately $775 has been donated.

Smith says he has three reasons for starting the event. He says he sees it as a solution to three problems: the amount of time students waste on Facebook; the amount of money students squander on alcohol; and the need for aid in Pakistan.

“I’m stoked because it’s ended up as a way to use something that is quite often a time-sucker (Facebook) as a way for students to do something which people might give us some credit for (because I don’t think we do enough of that!),” he says.

Just over a month ago Pakistan was hit by the heaviest monsoon season on record, causing widespread and destructive flooding. At least 1,643 people have died and at least six million people have been left homeless. These figures are likely to increase as more bodies are found and diseases such as cholera threaten.

Shocked by the scale of the flooding, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon has urged foreign donors to increase the aid effort.

Students interested in contributing to this cause can find information on the Facebook page “Donate $10 of your Student Loan/Allowance to Pakistan!”