Fees Look Set to be on the Rise for 2011

A Special Council Meeting held on Monday 20 September at 3pm will determine how much students will have to fork out to study at Victoria University in 2011.

At the meeting, the University Council will resolve whether to approve the proposed amendments to the Fees Statute, which were recommended for approval by the Finance Committee last Monday.

The amendments suggest an increase in all tuition fees to the maximum allowance, an increase of four per cent to all government-funded courses at the New Zealand School of Music and no increase of the Student Services Levy for 2011.

Fee increases have currently been predicted at four per cent, in accordance with the maximum increase outlined in the government’s Fee and Course Cost Maxima. As this figure has not yet been confirmed by the government, fees could rise more than four per cent for 2011. The Executive Summary states that if the maximum allowable increase is greater than four per cent, the fees recommendation will go back to University Council for further consideration before a higher fee increase is approved.

VUWSA President Max Hardy told Salient that he thought an increase of more than four per cent was unlikley.

Figures provided in the council papers show that currently, most Victoria undergraduate fees are lower than other universities. The report says that these figures are important in providing “market context” for setting student fees.

Hardy told Salient that undergraduate courses at University of Auckland are, in fact, cheaper than Victoria’s, but because more papers are required for a degree, the cost of obtaining an undergraduate degree was more expensive.

The recommendation that the Student Services Levy remain fixed for 2011 (excluding GST) is a direct result of the Memorandum of Understanding signed between the university and VUWSA. The resulting Student Services and Amenities Levy Advisory Committee (SSALAC) Consultation showed that student feedback generally supported keeping the levy as low as possible for 2011. Hardy described this as a “major success” for SSALAC.

Students threw fruit and eggs at council members when fees were set in 2009. VUWSA has received a letter from the university regarding their protest policy, which was addressed at last week’s exec meeting.

1