FM, BM Nius

Nau mai hoki mai whānau, second week back in. Hope you all took the opportunity to have a rest over the holidays, but if you didn’t rest, chances are that you were probably kept busy holidaying at home, working, or maybe you were at Te Huinga Tauira and/or Te Hunga Roia. Whatever you got up to and wherever you went, ngā mihi kia koutou katoa. For those that unfortunately could not attend the awesome Te Huinga Tauira event, read on to find out what went on and what you missed. For those that did attend and need a memory jogger we have catered for you as well. Now, I’m sure there is no need to remind you that we are fast approaching the business end of the year and for some that means that there is a lot of mahi to be catching up on, for others not as much, so keep it up. For many it means that the end of your uni career is nigh, so get off those nonos and start using the roros, and make the best of the weeks ahead. Waiho mā te Upoko pakaru, kaua mā te waewae tutuki.

Waiho i te toipoto, kaua i te toiroa – Huinga Tauira 2010, Te Hunga Roia

For an unprecedented third consecutive time, Ngāi Tauira has retained the coveted kapa haka trophy in this year’s Huinga Tauira competitions.

Approximately 260 Māori students from across Aotearoa congregated in the capital city during the first week of holidays for the annual Huinga Tauira gathering. Hosted by Ngāi Tauira, WISA, WELTEC and MAWSA, Māori student associations were based at Tapu Te Ranga Marae in Island Bay, and students participated in seminars at Parliament, sports at Te Rauparaha Arena in Porirua and kapa haka and manu kōrero competitions at Victoria University’s Karori Campus.

Groups included Manawatahi (Massey University, Palmerston North), Te Waka (Massey University, Albany), Te Akatoki (Canterbury University), Te Awhioraki (Lincoln University), Ngā Tauira Māori (Auckland University), Te Waiora (Waikato University) and Te Roopū Māori (Otago University).

Also during the last week of hols, Te Hunga Rōia (National Māori Law Students conference) was held here in Wellington. Big ups to Ngā Rangahautira who represented us at the conference and made sure an awesome time was had by all.

Nei rā ngā mihi kia koutou katoa i whakamanahia te tira o Ngāi Tauira i ngā hui whakahirahira i tū i Te Whanganui-ā-Tara i ngā rangi whakatā kua hōri.

He kokonga whare e kitea, he kokonga ngākau e kore e kitea

Ngāi Tauira would like to send out some BIG AROHA to NT Prez, Victor Manawatu and we wanna wish him a speedy recovery from his ‘manawa’ surgery. Looking forward to seeing you well Prez! Kia māia, kia Manawanui! :)

Mate kāinga tahi, ora kāinga rua

The NT office has MOVED! You’ll now be able to find us on the atrium level of the Student Union Building in the room that used to be the computer lab (SU217). We’ll hopefully only be there until the end of September (since we keep getting random students coming to the door then reading the sign, moaning and going away), but we’ll let you know. We’re sharing with VUWSA, so drop on in and see our temporary home and new room mates.

Tama tū, tama ora, tama noho, tama mate

Ngāi Tauira Pango, Whero and Mā teams, make sure you guys know when you’re playing this Wednesday. And if you do know, can you please let us know?

Also, you should have received your hoodie from Natalie by now, but if you haven’t make sure you hit her up with your $20.

On another hākinakina note, NTU and NT would like to invite you along to the 2010 Maori Students Sports Day on Saturday 2 October and Sunday 3 October (so technically it’s a sports weekend). We’ve also invited Manawatahi (Massey University, Palmerston North) and Whitireia to come play. For more details, jump on Facebook and look for the event on our group page.

Mate atu he tētē kura, ara mai he tētē kura

Ngāi Tauira AGM. The time is coming to elect new people onto the Exec Board, and since most of the current exec will be graduating at the end of this year, these spaces will need to be filled! If you think you’ve got what it takes to represent and serve your peers and peepz, then be there. Date is to be confirmed in the very near future. Read this space next week.

He kanohi kitea, he hokinga mahara

Visit our website and join our Facebook page. Help us to keep in touch with you guys and we can help you guys keep in touch with us and each other. You’ll be in the know as we know! What about? Well, events, scholarships, competitions, important dates and notices. Join us, whānau. You know you want to.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan