Former Vic Student Loses Battle with Leukaemia

Former Victoria University student Kurt Filiga passed away earlier this month after being diagnosed with terminal leukaemia last November.

Only 20 years old, Filiga was a Media Studies student and an aspiring film-maker, producing a documentary of his experience with the illness.

Kurt-E: In My Blood was shown only weeks before Filiga passed away. Made with the help of and screened at Wellington production facility Park Road Post, the documentary received a rave review from Wellington director Louis Sutherland and is reported to have had international interest from film festivals.

The documentary was well-received by the intimate crowd at its screening.

“He got a standing ovation. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the cinema,” Park Road Post spokeswoman Vicki O’Hagan says.

The documentary was also screened at his funeral, which was held last Tuesday.

A Victoria student and former classmate at Rongotai College spoken to by Salient described the funeral as inspiring.

“It was inspiring to hear the way people talked about him, and the way he overcame so many obstacles to achieve his dreams.

“One of Kurt’s dying wishes was that he would inspire more Pacific Islanders to donate blood and bone marrow. Also, I think that he would say, if he was still alive, is to love your family with your life, and follow your dreams”.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties