Foundations of Support in place for Solar Bach

The Victoria University-led team entering a solar bach in the US Department of Energy Solar Decathlon has received support from groups around the world. Since being selected in April, the team has been offered assistance by a number of national and international groups.

The team, led by Vic postgraduate students Anna Farrow, Ben Jagersma, Nick Officer and Eli Nuttall, will travel to Washington D.C. in October next year to take part in the competition. This is the first time a group from the Southern Hemisphere has been selected to take part in the annual competition.

A former US Navy commissary officer has offered to house the entire team in his four-storey mansion, Canadian Fanshawe College will help with construction and American University in Washington D.C. will ensure the team feel welcome when they arrive.

In New Zealand, the group have been offered advice and support from industry experts.

“We’ve been overwhelmed by the support we have received from these extremely passionate Kiwis; we’ve learnt so much already,” Jagersma says.

During the 21-day event, held on National Mall near the White House, the group will construct and operate their solar bach, which will be put through a series of tests before a winner is announced. The New Zealand team is one of 20 groups competing, with the event expected to attract around 150,000 visitors.

The solar bach will be constructed and on display in Wellington before it is shipped to the US.

A number of New Zealand companies have also offered their products to the team, who hope to fill the bach with New Zealand-made products and appliances.

“So far a number of companies have been very supportive and the team are hoping that the entire house can be supplied by donations of products,” Farrow says.

More information can be found at www.firstlighthouse.co.nz

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot