Fulbright Award for Fully Bright Young Researcher

Victoria student Gwenda Willis has recently been chosen to become part of a very select group of scholars.

The postdoctoral fellow of Victoria University’s School of Psychology has won a prestigious Fulbright Senior Scholar Award, awarded to high-achieving artists, professionals and academics. The awards allow recipients to research or lecture in the United States.

In the United States Willis will further her research into the rehabilitation of sexual offenders and the use of the Good Lives treatment model developed at Victoria University.

“The award will enable me to spend five months in the United States, where I will look at how well rehabilitation programmes are using this model,” she said.

“The model has been picked up more widely in the United States than in New Zealand. However, the degree to which programmes adhere to the model’s principles has not been assessed.”

Willis’ trip will also include collaboration with other academics and an opportunity for presenting lectures.

“I’m looking forward to working with Associate Professor Jill Levenson from Lynn University who is an internationally acclaimed sexual violence researcher. I will also give talks at Lynn University and at local conferences.”

Willis leaves for the United States in February 2011.

1