LOL news

MySpace Loses Face to Facebook

Social networking site MySpace seems to be having trouble accepting that Facebook has well and truly usurped its role.

Following a recent revamp to make the site look more like Facebook, MySpace also now allows users to connect their accounts, so they can check and update their MySpace and share content without leaving Facebook.

MySpace has recently faced significant losses in advertising, users and face, following its once overwhelming popularity, circa 2005.

Let that dream die, MySpace, just let it die.

Bebo was last seen crying in a dark corner of cyberspace.

Foursquare takes on STIs

“Check-in” for Chlamydia!

Foursquare and MTV have recently joined forces to encourage people to get tested for sexually transmitted infections.

Users of the phone application Foursquare, which allows users to ‘check in’ to locations they visit, can now notify their friends when they get an STI check. This development is part of MTV’s ‘GYT: Get Yourself Tested’ campaign, which features competitions and celebrity endorsement.

Once tested, users will be presented with a GYT badge they can show off to their friends via the application.

That’s cooler than an STI.

Hate on a Plate

Upper Hutt resident Lisa Marie Thompson was recently accused of being a white supremacist because of her car’s numberplate.

The controversial plate, which reads ‘ARYAN1’, was the source of a complaint to the New Zealand Transport Association (NZTA). The complainant said they were extremely offended by the plate and its apparent reference to Hitler’s racist Nazi regime.

“This is really offensive, for pretty obvious reasons. How can somebody even have a plate like this approved? I am baffled.”

The complaint has confused Thompson, who bought the personalised plate four years ago as a reference to her former boyfriend, Andrew Ryan.

“Why did I do it? Because it’s the name of my ex-boyfriend.”

NZTA have refused to withdraw the plate as they say this would breach Thompson’s rights.

“On its own it is simply a name and I believe it would require some other words, actions or gestures to be inciting.”

Plates that have been withdrawn by the agency in the past include DRGDLR, JAPSUX, MDAFKR, OLDKNT, SIKCNT, TAMPON and TBAGGD.

1. There’s a New Editor
1