New Hall Jostles for Top Spot in First Years’ Hearts

Rivalry between halls of residence is likely to increase in 2011, with the university’s introduction of a new contender for first choice on application forms.

The yet-to-be-named accommodation at 132 The Terrace will be a fully-catered, 241-bed hall, serving primarily domestic first-year students.

This development comes shortly after University Hall announced its decision to significantly limit accommodation for domestic students from 2011 onwards. As reported in Salient, Manager of Student Accommodation Nick Merrett said she believed students wouldn’t be disadvantaged by the changes, as there were already a large number of places in halls of residence offered to domestic students.

In a press statement released by the university, Vice-Chancellor Professor Pat Walsh indicated that there was a significant need for accommodation for domestic students.

“The demand for accommodation at Victoria has been growing significantly in recent years—students from across New Zealand and overseas want to study at Victoria. With Te Puni Village, and now this new complex, we are meeting this need for high quality accommodation.”

The building will be leased by Victoria University and is soon to be refurbished into a student accommodation complex.

Students are able to apply for the new hall online at www.victoria.ac.nz/accommodation

1. kelsey says:

I have searched everywhere but can not find any information about what this new hall has to offer except that its fully catered and mainly for first year students.
    Has anyone got any more information about it? eg prices?