New Zealand Universities Fare Better in Subject Rankings

The recently released 2010 QS World University Rankings have revealed how New Zealand universities perform in different subject areas.

Auckland University once again topped the list for New Zealand in 38th place for the social sciences and management, followed by Victoria University (111=), Otago University (140=), Canterbury University (152) and Waikato University (183=).

In addition to that, three New Zealand institutions also made the top 100 for life sciences and medicine.

Victoria Univeristy just scraped into the top three in New Zealand for the life sciences and medicine section (176=) behind Auckland and Otago universities.

Last week Salient reported that Victoria University was the only New Zealand university to improve its ranking from 2009, climbing up four places to 225th and placing fourth in the country.

The latest release from QS covered the top 300 institutions in five broad subject areas, in which New Zealand providers showed a strong performance, particularly in the social sciences and management areas.

Victoria University ranked second in New Zealand for arts and humanities and fifth in Natural Sciences.

QS World University Rankings subject tables are based on an academic survey completed by 15,050 academics, including 700 university leaders, who were asked to identify the universities producing the best research in their own field of knowledge and within their region of expertise.

The overall rankings also take into account employer reputation, research strength, and teaching and international commitment.

Auckland University maintains its rank as the top tertiary provider in the country, coming first among New Zealand universities in each of the subject areas.

1