Power Reminisces on Law School Parties

Tactfully sidesteps students’ questions

Minister of Justice Simon Power spoke at Victoria University’s Pipitea Campus last Wednesday evening for the Law Students’ Society’s second annual Patron’s Lecture.

Speaking to a crowd of around fifty students and law school staff, Power spoke for half an hour on his experiences at law school, working as a lawyer and his role as the Minister of Justice.

As a result of a year spent in Weir House and two years as President of the Law Students’ Society, Power had a number of stories to share about drinking endeavours and what he called a “genetic need to participate in all social activities”.

Power described how his attitudes had been changed by his professors, many of whom still lecture at the law school and were present at the evening.

“I soon learnt that a smart answer and a quick grin were not enough to get me through.”

Power spoke at length about the need for both lawyers and politicians to actively participate in the law and its development.

“When the idealism departs, so too should the politician.”

He said that his role as Minister of Justice is one of reform, and that his views about the need for change are often controversial and not easily accepted.

“It is not good enough to leave it to someone else.”

Following his speech, Power opened the floor to questions. Students asked questions on a range of topics, with a particular focus on the government’s recently passed The Canterbury Earthquake Response and Recovery Act. The act, which was passed last Tuesday night by unanimous vote, allows the government to suspend provisions in 22 different acts without approval from parliament.

Power had little to say about most of these questions, except that he was “comfortable with all government policy”.

The talk was followed by drinks and canapés at Rutherford House, but the minister was unable to attend.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn