President Didn’t Inhale, Stoners Paranoid

Otago University’s controversial 4.20 protest club is at odds with Otago University Students’ Association (OUSA) once again, this time over the accused censorship of one of its entries in the upcoming Otago University Student Film Competition, the Mothras.

OtagoNorml, an associate group of the National Organisation for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, submitted three entries into the competition this year, one of which is up for an award, but it’s their promotional video explaining their association with OUSA that has ruffled a few feathers.

OUSA General Manager Stephen Alexander has pulled the short video from the competition because of an issue regarding one scene, which he says OtagoNorml spokesman Abe Gray refused to edit out of the final entry.

The controversial scene shows OUSA President Harriet Geoghegan being enveloped in a cloud of marijuana smoke being exhaled by a video participant.

Gray feels that the entry is being banned because it clearly elucidates OUSA’s endorsement of cannabis use as a form of protest.

Alexander, however, denies this is an act of censorship.

“There is one item that I have excluded from the screening/judging process because of Mr. Gray’s failure to follow through on his promise to edit a certain individual, who objected to being filmed, out of the film clip.”

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this