President Didn’t Inhale, Stoners Paranoid

Otago University’s controversial 4.20 protest club is at odds with Otago University Students’ Association (OUSA) once again, this time over the accused censorship of one of its entries in the upcoming Otago University Student Film Competition, the Mothras.

OtagoNorml, an associate group of the National Organisation for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, submitted three entries into the competition this year, one of which is up for an award, but it’s their promotional video explaining their association with OUSA that has ruffled a few feathers.

OUSA General Manager Stephen Alexander has pulled the short video from the competition because of an issue regarding one scene, which he says OtagoNorml spokesman Abe Gray refused to edit out of the final entry.

The controversial scene shows OUSA President Harriet Geoghegan being enveloped in a cloud of marijuana smoke being exhaled by a video participant.

Gray feels that the entry is being banned because it clearly elucidates OUSA’s endorsement of cannabis use as a form of protest.

Alexander, however, denies this is an act of censorship.

“There is one item that I have excluded from the screening/judging process because of Mr. Gray’s failure to follow through on his promise to edit a certain individual, who objected to being filmed, out of the film clip.”

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan