Salient rates election victory speech one liners

I love elections. I watched the live stream of Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor’s press conference online. I had to know who won. I also love election victory speeches. They’re a time for stirring political rhetoric. This week, Salient rates the best, and worst, election victory speech one liners.

“To be the prime minister of Australia is undoubtedly the greatest privilege that can come the way of any person.” John Howard, 2004 3/10
Is it really a privilege to be the Prime Minister of a former British penal colony?

“Yes we can” Barack Obama, 2008 5/10
Quite clearly stolen from Bob the Builder, these three words came to be the signature phrase of Barack’s entire campaign. He probably still says it now. Actually, does he? It’s a versatile phrase, and it can be applied to almost every situation. For example, can we solve world poverty? Yes we can. Can we fix the damage from the oil spill? Yes we can. Whether he actually can or not is a separate question entirely, but why wouldn’t you trust the man?

“I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat” Winston Churchill, 1940
8/10
Winston came to power in the most trying of circumstances—during World War Two. Why you’d ever want to lead a country that was—at that point in time—basically losing the war, I really don’t know. But good on him. He made a sterling effort and in the end, the Allies won the war and it was all well and good. It was probably down to Winston’s blood, sweat and tears.

“Our military has brought justice to the enemy and honor to America” George W Bush, 2004
1/10
Er, okay George. If that’s what you want to call it…

“So let’s draw back the curtains and let the sun shine in” Julia Gillard, 2010 10/10
I really, really like this quote. All hail Julia’s speechwriter. This is gold. This is genius. This is political mastermind/cheese at its best. More sunshine please, Julia. You’re the best. You’re an independent red headed woman making it in a man’s world. Woo!

“But I’ve got a bit of bad news, guys. There is no puppy coming. Sorry.” John Key, 2008
0/10
John, I hate that I have to break this to you, but you’re no Barack Obama. And it was admittedly a pretty lame joke. I bet your kids didn’t even want a puppy anyway. Try harder next time.