Salient rates: summer jobs

Hey, guess what? There’s only four weeks of classes left. What are you gonna do after that, huh? You gonna stay in Wellington for the summer, or are you gonna head home? Are you undecided? Maybe you could travel overseas? Time is running out, people, and soon enough you’ll stop getting your allowance or your living cost payments and you’ll be even more broke than you are already. Have I just freaked you out? I sure hope so. If you don’t have a summer job lined up, you might want to start thinking about that now. Otherwise you’ll finish your exams and discover that all the good jobs are already taken and you won’t be able to pay rent or fund your summer boozing habit. Ruh roh! In light of this, this week Salient rates prospective summer jobs.

Any hospo job that involves you getting up at the crack of dawn 2/10
It is likely that a significant number of you will end up working in hospo. Been there, done that. For four years. Some hospo jobs will involve you getting up really early. Like, you need to be at work by 7am kind of early. It is difficult to get to work at 7am, especially if you have been out the night before. On the bright side, maybe you get a staff discount and you get to finish at 2pm, allowing you to enjoy the rest of the sunny afternoon.

Cookie Time cookie seller 8/10
The best part of this job is the super hot shirts you get to wear. They are covered in cookies. Everyone likes Cookie Time Christmas cookies, therefore, everyone buys them. They come in nifty looking buckets. And they taste delicious. The one drawback to this job is that you need access to a fax machine. Who even sends faxes these days anyway?!

Wrapping Christmas presents in shopping malls 4/10
Some people really enjoy wrapping presents. I am not one of those people. If you’re into wrapping gifts, I guess this really is the perfect summer job for you. However, imagine someone presents you with a really awkwardly shaped gift. You have to work out how to wrap it so professionally that it looks really good and worthy of placing under a Christmas tree. The pressure! And how jealous would you be seeing what everyone else is getting?

Life guard 7/10
This would be an awesome job, as long as you’re a competent swimmer and you get to life guard at the beach or at an outdoor pool. Not so fun if you’re stuck at an indoor pool breathing in chlorine all day. Being outside means you can work on your sweet tan. Just remember you are responsible for people’s lives. Keep a good count of all the people in the water.

Unpaid internship 3/10
Unpaid? Really? Whaaaaaat? You better be getting some good free stuff. Or at least valuable life experience. Or something.

Summer School 8/10
No job prospects? Why not enrol in summer school and claim course related costs or student allowance? Take a random paper, something you never thought you’d ever have time to study. Latin perhaps? Pick a paper based on the likelihood of scoring a hot babe. Ohhhh yeah.

Random promo shit 6/10
I once saw an ad on Student Job Search that was looking for people to dress up in animal outfits for a few days. This is not the most comfortable prospect in the middle of summer, but how awesome would it be to tell your friends that you got to dress up as a pig and collect money for charity? That’s one sweet summer work story right there. Admittedly, this is a best-case scenario promo job. There are a lot of bad ones out there. Like walking around with a sign on your back. Too hard.