Student Prank causes Chaos at Library

Library staff have been left reeling after Victoria University’s Central Library was targeted by a student prank last Monday.

Early on Monday morning a group of students switched all of the library’s ‘Blue Zone’ signs with the ‘Green Zone’ signs, completely changing the colour classification on each of the floors.

The library is split into Blue and Green Zones which indicate the type of study area each floor is. In Blue Zones, students are expected to study individually and quietly. In Green Zones, students are allowed to study in groups, so the noise level is expected to be a bit higher.

Library staff realised there was a problem mid-morning, when a number of students responded angrily to requests from staff to “Respect the Zone”.

“I was so confused, usually there are only two or three students over the course of the day who don’t respect the Blue Zone, on Monday I’d had five whole groups of students engaged in loud, disruptive group study by 10.30am,” one library staff-member says. “Every time I asked them to migrate to a Green Zone they just looked confused and tried to tell me it was a Green Zone. I thought they were just having me on, you know?”

It wasn’t until morning tea time in the staffroom that staff realised the same problem was occurring on every floor of the library.

“I nearly choked on my biscuit! I couldn’t believe we’d been had,” another staff member says.

Following the discovery, staff worked quickly to return order to the zone system. Staff at Pipitea’s library were also advised of the prank, so they can secure themselves against a similar prank.

Signs at both libraries have been secured to stairwells to avoid a repeat attack or copy-cat stunt.

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot