TeamVic Pretty Slick

Victoria University Netball wins Club of the Year

The quote “Victoria University Netball Club is ‘CLUB OF THE YEAR’…Can I get a WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!” from TeamVic’s Facebook page sums up the euphoria felt by the club’s members after winning ‘Club of the Year’ at Wellington Netball Prizegiving.

TeamVic came up against all other clubs from within the Wellington draw, but placed first largely as a result of the effort put in by TeamVic’s Committee during the 2010 season.

President Fiona Johnson-Bell says that this win is just the beginning of the committee’s plans for the club.

She aims to bring in dress uniforms, tracksuits and an upgrade of the facilities at the Salamanca courts.

“I not only want this club to be a force on the netball court but also one that the members care about the club as it looks after them.”

Students belonging to the club say that they are proud to be a part of TeamVic.

“The club has really improved over the last year,” one member says. “I was stoked with Vic’s winning team of the year because it means we will now be taken more seriously by other clubs in Wellington.”

Increasing the number of teams from seven to 15 at the beginning of the season also had an impact on the club’s success.

Johnson-Bell puts this down to a “massive recruiting campaign” commencing at the end of 2009.

TeamVic’s Overall Sportsperson of the Year, second-year student Stacey Sharp, says that the massive increase of teams certainly began the season on a new note.

“Going from seven to 15 teams was an awesome way to kick off a new year.”

Despite the hard work put in over the year, the Committee and the members of TeamVic were surprised by their win of ‘Club of the Year’.

“We were completely caught off-guard at the Wellington prize-giving,” says Johnson-Bell, “It was such an incredible feeling that all our hard work, long hours and effort put into managing and organising everyone had paid off.”

Stacey Sharp agrees that the win was unexpected but well deserved.

“TeamVic is best netball club I have ever belonged to,” says Sharp, “it is like the definition of Uni, I think, a mixture of a lot of hard work on-court and a hell of a lot of good times off the court!”