Typo causes university to allocate $537k to “leaning support”

An unfortunate typo in Victoria University’s 2010 budget has left the university with $537,000 allocated to ‘leaning support’, rather than learning support.

Somehow managing to go unnoticed until early this month, half of the budget figure has already been spent on leaning supports for the university. This has left the Learning Support Department with just half of their normal budget allowance.

Meanwhile, over 500 leaning supports have been installed across Victoria’s four campuses, paid for by the budget typo and purchased and fitted by Campus Rest Services.

The leaning supports have been fixed to a number of corners and posts around the campuses, and provide a convenient and comfortable support for students who wish to have a rest at university.

Campus Rest Services were extremely pleased to discover the size of their 2010 budget allocation, having been granted less than $100 annually for the past decade.

Manager Isla Jones says staff at Campus Rest Services assumed the large allocation was a result of their multimedia leaning support proposal in late 2009.

“We went all-out with the proposal because this was a really important issue for students.

“We had a colourful powerpoint presentation, fancy 3D headers, sound-effects, the works. It was quite something.”

Made of a sustainable wood product and covered with a cushioned leather surface, the leaning supports are designed to provide stable and comfortable support for students who would otherwise lean against hard wall surfaces.

Jones says that the leaning supports are an integral part of making students’ experience at university more positive.

“We all know what it’s like to have a hard day, and when you have to rub shoulders with a rough brick wall it’s just that much worse.”

Unable to amend the problem after the leaning supports had been purchased, the university is now faced with the task of reallocating resources to help make up for the Learning Support Department’s deficit.

A number of departments have had to donate office stationery to the Learning Support Department after it was discovered that staff were stealing pens from local banks because of a lack of funding.

Two professional proofreaders have also been hired to meticulously check the 2011 budget for any similar typos.

1